Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2013 Forester and after about 600 miles of driving I got a check engine light for cylinder 4 misfiring. The light came on after a hard acceleration / high RPMs.

Steps taken so far:
  • Swapped the coil packs and no changes to the codes
    • I tried to clear the codes and there were no changes to the check engine light, so I suspect it was misfiring pretty consistently on cylinder 4 or the reader was no clearing properly
    • Looking back now I don't think I revved it high enough to really test the coil pack
  • Replaced the spark plugs - Cylinder 4 spark plug looked really bad so I really thought this would fix it
  • 95% sure cylinder 4 coil pack is on a different cylinder now. Might need to revisit
  • Cleared the codes after the spark plugs
  • Took it for a test drive and when I revved it high again (6k) the light came back on for cylinder 4 misfire
  • Cleared the codes again and revved the engine up to 4k in the garage and the light came back on for cylinder 4 misfire
  • Guy at Autozone said it might be bad gas (Arco 87) - I doubt this would just effect cylinder 4 though
Any advice on next steps?
  • I might swap coil packs again just to double check
  • I tried to follow the wiring but it seems to merge up with other wiring? How hard is it to replace the wiring to the coil packs?
  • Might try better gas and injector cleaner?
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
971 Posts
Guy at Autozone said it might be bad gas (Arco 87) - I doubt this would just effect cylinder 4 though

Thanks for any help!
Absolutely try better gas, that's a cheap test. Don't think ARCO is really up there in quality; try toping off your current tank with Shell Premium.

But the check engine light, only? ... can you feel that it's missfiring?

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@UhOh Thanks for the suggestion I'll try Shell Premium. Maybe run some injector cleaner through as well?

I didn't notice the misfiring - no power pulsing while driving and no heavy smell of unburnt fuel
It did seam to be idling rough at low RPM but assumed this was due to ECU reset after having the battery disconnected for awhile
Any other telltale signs for misfire?

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posting a picture of the spark plug from cylinder 4 for reference and if anything can be diagnosed from it.
Have a new theory - maybe the injector is not delivering a enough fuel? Spark looks like it might be running lean in this cylinder?
Added some shell premium fuel but haven't really driven it around yet to see if it keeps misfiring.
Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,238 Posts
Do a compression check on cylinder #4. If it reads normal, do a running compression check which should read one half the static compression check pressure. This will eliminate an expensive mechanical cause of the misfire.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swapped the injectors today to see if it would move the code from cylinder 4, will see what happens the next time the check engine light comes on.
I'll check the compression next, I think I read one of your other posts saying anything under 100 is a huge problem.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine light came back on and it's still cylinder 4 so don't think it is the injectors. Checking compression next

·
Registered
2011 Forester NA
14 Posts
Yup, I had the same problem with my 2011 Forester in cylinder two. Ended up needing to have the cylinder shaved even and new gaskets. Solved my misfire and the cel.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@toommm Thanks for the input, were you able to diagnosis the cylinder issue with a leak down test? How much did it end up costing?

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT AT
94 Posts
@ej22 I have the same problem, swamp the coil and spark plug and it's still the same cylinder 4....at about 90k I started to have misfired on cylinder 4 so I put new plugs in and that solved it then around 128k it been a constant cylinder 4...looking to switch injectors...but then again the spark plug has some oil in the threads...wondering if its the valve cover gasket or the piston rings...

Anyways a guide into removing the injectors...everything is so tight! There are two hosen that basically blocking the back screws of the injector rail covers...can you remove them? I can't find what these hoses are on the driver's side.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same problem, swamp the coil and spark plug and it's still the same cylinder 4....at about 90k I started to have misfired on cylinder 4 so I put new plugs in and that solved it then around 128k it been a constant cylinder 4...looking to switch injectors...but then again the spark plug has some oil in the threads...wondering if its the valve cover gasket or the piston rings...

Anyways a guide into removing the injectors...everything is so tight! There are two hosen that basically blocking the back screws of the injector rail covers...can you remove them? I can't find what these hoses are on the driver's side.
I was able to swap them pretty easily with no hoses in the way, might be different with yours since it's an XT?

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried to do a leak down test without much success. I believe I got the cylinder to top dead center, but showed leakage of about 70% (100 psi down to 30 psi), which seams like a lot for a running engine? I didn't hear it coming out the intake, exhaust, out the coolant... I could not tell where the air was leaking from. For those who have done a leak down test, how easy was it to tell where the air was coming out and what was your leakage?

·
Registered
2011 Forester NA
14 Posts
How much was this repair :(
Sorry for the late reply. I paid $3000 Canadian (~$2300 USD)
The mechanic pulled the engine, removed the old gaskets, machined the seals and replaced gaskets. Any issues and I'm to bring it back pro-bono.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@toommm Thanks for the reply! Might make sense for me to just swap in a used motor due to costs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts