Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Forester.
The key fab and the radio stopped working. Checked all fuses and located a blown 20 Amp fuse in the fusebox under the hood. Fuse Number 9 that is labeled "Back Up".
subaru-forester-fuse-box-engine-compartment-2009-300x269.jpg
I replaced the fuse and a few seconds later smoke was coming from the dash. I disconnected the battery quickly and removed the radio as that is where the smoke seemed to be coming from.

After pulling the radio it was apparent this was the source of the smoke.
20210718_125429.jpg 20210718_125440.jpg 20210718_125411.jpg
I am stumped as to what happened here. Did the radio just crap its pants? I have an aftermarket back up camera that is tapped into the rear back up lights on the inside. The camera works fine. My thinking is its the radio but possible the rear camera which is mounted to the license plate got water in it? Again the camera works fine.
Also after pulling the radio the key fab works again(Door lock interior buttons never stopped working just the fab and alarm)

Any help thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
177 Posts
Did you look at the wires in case that was the culprit. Are you able to bench test the radio that is apply 12vdc (outside of the car) just to see if it works or more smoke. I could not see from the image if what happen on the pc board. Most of it (caps, res etc) are on the other side. That’s why I said check the wiring. If you can ge a peek of the board it may give you an idea what went south. If the radio died then maybe a time for an upgrade radio.
Lou Cioccio

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
121 Posts
I'm curious how long you had the back up camera installed before the fuse blew? Also, was the radio playing when the fuse blew or was it blown next time you got in the car?

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the wires and it def came from the pc board in the radio. The camera has been installed over a year. At first the key fab didnt work so I changed the battery and it worked. Then when I got in the car the radio would not turn on and the key fab would not work. Thats when I searched all the fuses and found the #9 fuse blown under the hood.
That fuse says Back Up but I read its a power back up and nothing to do with the reverse lights.
Strange how it all goes through the radio. I didnt get a chance to test the radio as it started smoking withing the first 30 seconds of changing that fuse. lol
I just ordered another identicle radio from ebay for 50 with shipping.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
121 Posts
With what you said I don't think it had anything to do with your camera attached to your backup lights. I like how you put it I think the radio just crapped its pants. A car's interior is a punishing environment for electronics. Capacitors and resistors can go out of spec over time with the heat and cold and humidity cycles. I think one of your internal components went out of spec and either fried itself or something down the line. It is most likely fixable. Definitely not fixable for under 50 bucks though. You got a good deal on a similar radio for 50 bucks.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Mr.AC I'm thinking it was the radio. The car is mostly garage kept and its detailed all the time. So its clean under the hood and everywhere else. My mother used it and she was smelling the electronics beginning to cook but didnt know what it was. Everything still worked though. Then when I went to use it the radio and keyfab/alarm didnt work. Thats when I found the #9 blown fuse and replaced it and started to freak out wihen smoke started coming out of the dash. Used OEM radio 52.71 with tax n shipping from the ebay site. If this radio cooks then I will have to search further but for the price of the oem radio replacement its a good 1st start.
I'll post back this week,
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
769 Posts
Not a bad deal at all. Hopefully it was just a one time incident.
Unless there was some mouse that wanted to chew on some wires somewhere. It does happen to even garaged cars that don't move. That's another .1% possibility too, maybe?

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the replacement radio and plugged it in and everything is working great again. I believe ya Mr.Ac about the mouse chewing wire scenario. If ya dont hear back from me here that means it was the radio that made a poopy:poop: and replacing it with a cheap used OEM was the FIX! Thanks for the replys. Cheers:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts