Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts
I hate to bring this thread up from the dead ….. but I want to clarify some stuff for my own understanding.

2010 Fozzie that I just did the 20mm rear upgrade. I also ordered the B6 shocks about 15 minutes ago. :D

But which tophats do I want? Or more correctly …. what is the difference between the SJ and SH tophats? I replaced the ones on my 01 a long time ago and even brand new … they bulged under the weight of the vehicle. Am I correct that the only difference is the durometer rating (hardness) of the rubber?

I saw the P/Ns earlier in this thread … but want to make sure of the right ones. Multiple people have said they interchange …. but there has to be a difference, no?

Thanks in advance (will order once I get some answers here) :)

Joe

Discussion starter · #43 ·
When I ordered my gear, which is sadly still sitting in my garage.... I ordered the KYB tophats for the SH. Not going to fuss over an extra +/- ~5% stiffness for the SJ Tophats. Or however stiffer they may be.

Now that Christmas done with and minions taken care of, I can install these now.

I forget what brand I purchased for my 01. But I ended up returning the first set (cheaper brand) … the dumb things looked like balloons when I lowered the car.

So the only real difference is the stiffness? Lemme see what I can find online. Thanks Chris!

Anyone else have any other input before I'm too far down the rabbit hole?

Discussion starter · #45 ·
I managed to get the struts installed before everything got shut down. Found a place to install them for ~$350 with an alignment...

The ride difference from OEM, even when new is amazing. Heck I think I would have been just as happy with the B4 series.

These are nice and tight. A bit firm for some of our ugly suburban streets being paired with Swift Springs. But I know they'll break in after a while...

No complaints from the family.

I'd even swap in the OEM springs (<20k miles on them) if I ever needed to go back up in height.

Right now I can have my cargo pod mounted and fit in the garage. With OEM springs I am banished to parking outside.

C.

I installed the SH B6's. I love them. I did use SJ tophats in the front.
Thank you so much Galager for always sharing your advice and knowledge on this forum for such a long time. I took a break from FB and stumble upon this thread last week. Very next day I pull the trigger on a set of B6's and Pedders springs and also took your advice on the SJ front top mounts. Installed everything and I am impressed. Ride is stiffer but not harsh and remains comfortable.
Still to early to give a detail review. I'm glad at took your advice and changed the top mounts cause at only 45k miles as they look like they needed to be changed.

Thank you so much Galager for always sharing your advice and knowledge on this forum for such a long time. I took a break from FB and stumble upon this thread last week. Very next day I pull the trigger on a set of B6's and Pedders springs and also took your advice on the SJ front top mounts. Installed everything and I am impressed. Ride is stiffer but not harsh and remains comfortable.
Still to early to give a detail review. I'm glad at took your advice and changed the top mounts cause at only 45k miles as they look like they needed to be changed.
View attachment 532680
Nice wheels! Your SH looks really clean.

Been watching all these threads- it's about time for mine to get new suspension. I haven't noticed if anyone has used the Pedders struts though- it's an attractive idea to get their EZmount kit with pre-installed springs. Any thoughts?

Car is stock, 145,000miles so I should:
B6 struts/Pedders springs
Cusco lower arms (thanks @Galager )
SJ top hats
perhaps swaybar bushings?

FWIW, I don't particularly want to lower the car, but it's not a problem either. This has been a good read, thanks to all involved.

It sounds like you have the right idea. There are 2 other things I'd recommend - the Perrin Steering Dampener lockdown, and the Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment kit. Total for both is around $300, but totally worth it. The Perrin kit will wake your steering up, and the Whiteline RCA kit is necessary for your lowered car to not give you PITA tire problems down the line (it corrects camber at the ball joints, and you get new tie rod ends as well).

I just put the Bilsteins on my MY11 XT today, and I can say I am very happy with the ride. I am hoping they settle onto my Swift springs (about a 1.6" drop) in time - the car looks almost stock height again!

EDIT - they already have settled a bit after driving.
Also, found a dang good price on the Whiteline kit:
https://thmotorsports.com/2732252-whiteline-whiteine-bump-steer-correction?gclid=CjwKCAjwv4_1BRAhEiwAtMDLsr7Ji_U1KkkyIU8m4AlwIW1BG_UAVEBrNzhPShUwtqEJ2nAgzoOvrhoCtucQAvD_BwE

I have electric steering, not sure if that effects anything. Otherwise thanks for the tips! I was under the impression the 1.6"drop didn't need other mods (for tire wear as you said) but they're on the list now. I already have horrible front outer tire wear. I'm American but I live in France, so maybe no-go on thmotorsports, but thanks for the link. I may ask them about shipping anyway, but things are pretty funky with Covid-19 right now.

Thanks,
Scott

EDIT - looks like the Perrin lockdown is a great idea.

It sounds like you have the right idea. There are 2 other things I'd recommend - the Perrin Steering Dampener lockdown, and the Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment kit. Total for both is around $300, but totally worth it. The Perrin kit will wake your steering up, and the Whiteline RCA kit is necessary for your lowered car to not give you PITA tire problems down the line (it corrects camber at the ball joints, and you get new tie rod ends as well).

I just put the Bilsteins on my MY11 XT today, and I can say I am very happy with the ride. I am hoping they settle onto my Swift springs (about a 1.6" drop) in time - the car looks almost stock height again!

EDIT - they already have settled a bit after driving.
Also, found a dang good price on the Whiteline kit:
https://thmotorsports.com/2732252-whiteline-whiteine-bump-steer-correction?gclid=CjwKCAjwv4_1BRAhEiwAtMDLsr7Ji_U1KkkyIU8m4AlwIW1BG_UAVEBrNzhPShUwtqEJ2nAgzoOvrhoCtucQAvD_BwE

View attachment 532680
My pleasure. These struts were a game changer for me, had to share. Your car looks great! I need to put the spacers in the rear but am waiting until I get new summer tires and alignment. Which is on hold because everything is on hold right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my Bilsteins on a couple of weekends ago - what an improvement! To be fair, my shocks were SHOT. As in, my children could compress them with one hand, and they wouldn't re-extend. Meaning that my springs were doing all the work! The old shocks had probably 60-80K on them, and they pretty much just gave up after I put Swift Springs on to bring it down a bit. The combo of the Swifts + Bilsteins is fantastic, though!

@Galager - you were right, the combo is great, and the Cusco bars are doing their job now!

Thank you all for your input on this thread. It has helped guide me to what I perceive to be the perfect suspension upgrade path. I have a few questions while my parts are en route:

Planning on getting the front 20320FG012 and the rear 20370FG012. Looks like Galager used the fronts but not the rears. I see no reason why the rears won't work as well.
Stidarkside - were you able to confirm the fit for the rear top mounts (AKA top hats) on your SH, 20370FG012?

Curious to hear how you like the setup. I’m leaning towards putting the 1/4 “ rear spacers I did not install at first on now.
Rear Spacer Input
For those SH owners with Pedders springs + Bilstein B6 struts/shocks + STi front top hats (20320FG012), what size rear spacer did you end up going with 1/4" or 3/8"? If available, what are your center of wheel to fender measurements. Also, please include if you have an empty trunk space versus some cars with aftermarket stereo items in the rear cargo space (adds weight). With 118K miles on the clock I'd like to replace the rear hats as well (not sure if they change the ride height when using the 20370FG012).

Alignment
For the same suspension mentioned above (Pedders springs + Bilstein B6 struts/shocks), were you able to get back to OE type camber in the rear or did you need to use either a Camber bolt (Whiteline and a few others make these) or a new Lower Control Arm from Whiteline (this is what I grabbed). I opted with the LCA as it has a new bushing as well and with 118K miles I figure it can't hurt.

Thank you all for your input on this thread. It has helped guide me to what I perceive to be the perfect suspension upgrade path. I have a few questions while my parts are en route:

Stidarkside - were you able to confirm the fit for the rear top mounts (AKA top hats) on your SH, 20370FG012?

Rear Spacer Input
For those SH owners with Pedders springs + Bilstein B6 struts/shocks + STi front top hats (20320FG012), what size rear spacer did you end up going with 1/4" or 3/8"? If available, what are your center of wheel to fender measurements. Also, please include if you have an empty trunk space versus some cars with aftermarket stereo items in the rear cargo space (adds weight). With 118K miles on the clock I'd like to replace the rear hats as well (not sure if they change the ride height when using the 20370FG012).

Alignment
For the same suspension mentioned above (Pedders springs + Bilstein B6 struts/shocks), were you able to get back to OE type camber in the rear or did you need to use either a Camber bolt (Whiteline and a few others make these) or a new Lower Control Arm from Whiteline (this is what I grabbed). I opted with the LCA as it has a new bushing as well and with 118K miles I figure it can't hurt.
I didn't use any spacers at all (Swift Springs - about the same drop as the Pedders, with Bilstein B6's). It doesn't look "dumped" in the rear at all. I have a 2011, so still an SH, but I understand there may have been some changes between 09 and 11 model years?

No blue dustcovers. My fronts didn't even have instructions. I reinstalled the factory bumpstops. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I think the internal stuff may be on B8's or higher (which aren't available for us). I'm going to write to Bilstein and see what they say. They ride awesome!
So, how u still liking ur Bilsteins B6's? just noticed today they're available. Gonna order a set after I read ur review. The stk valving is ok. But bouncy and not very compliant. Sounds like Bilstein did their homework and smoothed things out without losing composure. Thabks for your write up .

So, how u still liking ur Bilsteins B6's? just noticed today they're available. Gonna order a set after I read ur review. The stk valving is ok. But bouncy and not very compliant. Sounds like Bilstein did their homework and smoothed things out without losing composure. Thabks for your write up .
The Bilsteins are the the best non-"mod" thing I have done to the suspension. As a replacement for my busted stock shocks, and combined with a slight drop, they have made my Forester handle more like a proper wagon.

This might sound strange but have any you thought about or come across anyone that is running the B6's with OEM springs? I know the B4 is the oem replacement but I wonder if the increased valving of the B6's with the standard OEM spring rate would settle out on the suspension rebounding issues that we have with the oem setups?

I like the increased handling and look from lowering the forester just the little bit of ~1.6" but I also bought the car for the ground clearance, lol, as I go out into the snow quite a bit in the winters. Would be great to hear a couple opinions on this!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.