Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of missing my Prodrive P1's on my old `01 RS. Which were basically Bilstein B6 struts with Eibach springs. Bilstein has FINALLY released for US Consumption the B6's & B4's for our Foresters. At least MINE. >:) 09-13....

These used to be limited to the JDM/EDM regions. With hefty shipping costs to get them here.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4445&selected_year=2013

And double checking their US site... 馃憤馃憤馃憤

Lifetime warranty (Limited) AND can be rebuilt... But at this price, why bother unless they stop production.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product-search/?YearId=8893612371773691418&MakeId=7302771289963424576&ModelId=8858827788824251470&SubModelId=4639841981072272367

@GTEASER
@FXTerrific

Registered
I just noticed they're available for my '18 this morning! My OE rears were feeling a hair bouncy this morning over speed humps on my way to work so I figure new dampers may be in my not too distant future. This could be the difference between keeping vs turning in my car when the lease is up. So I take it nobody's installed these yet?

Registered
Very interesting, I would definitely consider a set when ever my SJ KYB decide to go.

I noticed that there are different part numbers for the SH and SJ, makes sense for the brake lines brackets, but I wonder if Bilstein did different valving for for SJ vs SH.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
@TSR85, yes...

From reading what @GTEASER did with his SH... The OEM SJ's fit our SH's minus the ABS bracket on the fronts. Minor MacGyvering them works. Need to use SH tophats, IIRC.

SJ's get an extra inch or so of travel, and the spring rates are slightly higher too.

Registered
I am going over the Subaru strut diagrams.

I am going to get new locknuts for all the lower bolts. They don鈥檛 show the rears for some reason. Do they use the same as the front?Should I use new nuts up top as well?

I can鈥檛 see bearings for the front struts. Are these built into the strut mounts? Should I replace anything else at 45k?

I am throwing 1/4 spacers in the rear this time as well.

Happy 4th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
@TSR85, yes...

From reading what @GTEASER did with his SH... The OEM SJ's fit our SH's minus the ABS bracket on the fronts. Minor MacGyvering them works. Need to use SH tophats, IIRC.

SJ's get an extra inch or so of travel, and the spring rates are slightly higher too.
Yeah, I put SJ struts on my SH with king springs about a year back now. I went with SJ struts due to having higher damping rates. There is no real increased travel with the SJ they are basically the same. And yes the ABS tabs are a simple nut and bolt fix. https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/#/topics/781873

I emailed bilstein about the damping rates,I鈥檓 debating if it鈥檚 gonna be worth going through it all again. Instilling the front king springs was probably the scariest game of high stakes jack in the box I have played to date.

Registered
So after some back and forth with Bilstein they are unwilling to share any data or remarks in regards to the damping on the B6 struts for their struts(SH or SJ). They said that the application specific valving rates is internal proprietary information, They would only say for liability reasons use the struts that were designed for your application.

So, unless someone with a shock dyno can test them, the B6 for the SH or SJ are basically a "Heavy Duty" strut black box, and we don't know if they are really any different than OEM valving.

Registered
I posted in other thread, but thought I would put this info here as well.

Well I ordered the 2013 STI strut mounts. part number 20320FG012. Rallitek said they wouldn't work. But I'm almost certain they're wrong. The part number is identical to the SJ part number and from what I've been told, all the SJ stuff is a direct swap. Hope I didn't flush $100 down the toilet lol.

Registered
I finished installing the new struts/shocks and tophats yesterday. First some install notes. As normal, you should use new locknuts on the lower strut and shock bolts. I use Subaru OEM. The rear is different than the front, you need 4 new ones in front and two in rear. I mangled the last bolt taking it out and had to scramble to find one on a Saturday. The Bilsteins come with their own top locknut. I reused everything else except the tophats. The rear shocks came with intructions and torque spec for that top locknut. The front did not and I had to call Bilstein. Of note, the torque spec for that top locknut on the fronts is 36 ft lbs. The rear is less I forget off hand what that was.

Now I don't know just how worn my OEM struts were at 45k (27k on the pedders springs), but I could feel a major difference in resistance pushing them in by hand vs the Bils. I've only driven about 20 miles so far, but it seems these have been just the ticket I'm looking for. The car is light years more composed at speed and rough pavement. It is not harsh. No more excessive bouncing after hitting a bump. It's possible They could stand to be a touch and I mean a real little bit more stiff, but it's splitting hairs and I probably wouldn't feel that way in certain daily driving scenarios. For a daily driver its perfect. For the extra hundred, I recommend the tophats since you're in there already. Made a nice difference in steering feel.

There is a definitely a big difference between these and the OEM. My car never felt like this. For $530 ($100 was new tophats) it was worth every penny. I'll update after a week or two of driving.

Part numbers I used:

2 Top hats: 20320FG012 (These are stock on the 2013 STI and SJ forester)

1 Bilstein 22-278449 Front Right

1 Bilstein 22-278432 Front Left

2 Bilstein 24-278454 Rear

Registered
No blue dustcovers. My fronts didn't even have instructions. I reinstalled the factory bumpstops. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I think the internal stuff may be on B8's or higher (which aren't available for us). I'm going to write to Bilstein and see what they say. They ride awesome!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts