Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Limit CVT
291 Posts
same here. took '14 in for the other recall, and they mentioned the spring recall that I handn't seen day before on nhtsa site.
nice that they not only notified me of it, but also offered to do it during the same appointment, which probably added 1 to 1.5 hours beyond what they were planning.

·
Registered
2015 LTD w/ Eyesight
102 Posts
Like many others, I was in for the WUM98 - "Forester Passenger-side Front Airbag ODS" and they advised me of the open spring recall. Now the mysubaru site doesn't list it for our vehicle, but the dealership said it was, so they ordered the parts. Now I have a question for the group: it's a '15 with just over 28K, is it worth replacing the shocks? My thought is if I bought replacements and asked if the dealership, as long as they have the strut assembly out to do the springs, if they would install the new shocks? So, at 4.5 years with 28K, is it worth the expense?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
562 Posts
Like many others, I was in for the WUM98 - "Forester Passenger-side Front Airbag ODS" and they advised me of the open spring recall. Now the mysubaru site doesn't list it for our vehicle, but the dealership said it was, so they ordered the parts. Now I have a question for the group: it's a '15 with just over 28K, is it worth replacing the shocks? My thought is if I bought replacements and asked if the dealership, as long as they have the strut assembly out to do the springs, if they would install the new shocks? So, at 4.5 years with 28K, is it worth the expense?
Short answer, No. Unless your having serious suspension issues, leaking or bad rust, I would just save my money. Besides, most dealerships won't install parts that you provide. They charge full MSRP on most parts.

Dealership just replaced both of my rear coil springs today, per recall. Car feels better. Smoother ride. Shocks were fine, although there is a superseded part number for the shocks.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Accord
106 Posts
wondering if this might be what is causing the creaking noise i hear when going over bumps or into my driveway. i have a 2017 Forester but this specific recall isn't showing up on the Subaru site when i enter my VIN.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 LTD w/ Eyesight
102 Posts
Theseus161, kinda what I was thinking about the dealership NOT installing parts they didn't sell. Thanks for your thoughts. Again, it's a low mileage but with the amount of salt and brine they spread in Maine, the winter takes a toll on any suspension component.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
562 Posts
We have family in Maine and their Subaru's just disintegrate from the salt/snow. They no longer purchase, just lease.

·
Registered
2018 Premium 2.5i 6M
122 Posts
wondering if this might be what is causing the creaking noise i hear when going over bumps or into my driveway. i have a 2017 Forester but this specific recall isn't showing up on the Subaru site when i enter my VIN.

thoughts?
Same here -- only the passenger-side front airbag pops up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
‘15 in for a an oil change and to have the brake-light switch recall taken care of, and the dealer informed me of the spring recall, that they’d just gotten the parts I this morning, and could take care of it immediately.

I consider this to be all positive,
Yeah but our dealer charged us $750 to replace one spring that was broken and did not replace the other spring. This pre-Japan-recall.. Not positive.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
544 Posts
We have family in Maine and their Subaru's just disintegrate from the salt/snow. They no longer purchase, just lease.
Ha! Yeah. My 5 year rust through is done 6/1/20. I am sure the pox will hit. I try and wash underneath on a regular basis. But I live near salt water too. :)

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
544 Posts
Ha! Yeah. My 5 year rust through is done 6/1/20. I am sure the pox will hit. I try and wash underneath on a regular basis. But I live near salt water too. :)

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring CVT
180 Posts
wow was researching maybe buying another forester - thankful i stumbled on this - had to have my front struts replaced at 50k miles - so I'll be cushy after this recall - now hopefully they'll address the fact that the brake lamp switch work they did now gives me the "limp" problem where acceleration dies and hill assist turns on -

the recall hasn't shown up in mysubaru for me - but yes when i type vin in subarus website I see it - maybe nows a good time to book an appointment before the notices officially go out

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited CVT
3 Posts
You guys aren't seeing anything on the NHTSA website because it' not a safety recall, Subaru is calling it a "Customer Satisfaction" recall (I work for at a Subaru dealership). Just figured i'd throw that out there!

·
Registered
2018 Premium 2.5i 6M
122 Posts
@theresin I'm dropping my car off on Monday at the dealership, partially for recall work for the passenger-side airbag ODS.

Should I bring up the issue of the rear springs to the service manager when I drop it off?

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Tourin CVT
236 Posts
Just had a passenger seat electrical mat recall for the air bag system on our 16 Forestor. While in the shop they told the wife our car will get new springs as part of a recall. The recall is not across the board but determined by inspection. I know no more than this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took my 2015 Forester in for a 60 month service and they said they were also going to change the rear coil springs because of a "customer satisfaction" bulletin. The service writer said it was related to a coating coming off the springs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2015 Forester in to CJ Tires for PA inspection and emissions test on January 17, 2020. When the car was raised, parts of the left rear coil spring fell out. My car had 53,220 miles. Since the car was already on the lift, I had CJ replace the coil springs. The dealership where I purchased my Forester notified my Mom who also has a 2015 Forester that there was a recall. On February 6, I contacted Subaru of America and selected the "recall" option. I was told that there was a recall (their words not mine) and I was transferred to the service team. I was told that a member of the Customer Advocacy Team would call me that evening. No call back on Feb 6. Feb 7, Tony Huynh left me a message to call him at ext 111274. I called and left a message for Tony Huynh on Feb 7 @ 4:10 PM, Feb 10 @ 3:30 PM. Feb 11 @ 2:57 PM, Feb 12 @ 10:30 AM, and Feb 13 @ 2:58 PM. Never received a call back from Tony. On Feb 13, I called Subaru of America and selected the service option. A rep sent me an email asking that I attach a copy of the repair invoice so that the reimbursement could be processed. I sent the invoice on Feb 17. She also told me that Subaru wanted me to have the coil springs replaced at the dealership since the coil springs had been redesigned.

Today, I received an email from the previously silent Tony. He needed the part numbers - which were on the invoice. He said that Subaru would not reimburse if the shop didn't use OEM parts. After I looked up OEM (original equipment manufacturer), I called Subaru of America and was told by Matt on the service line that the OEM requirement was a "parameter" of this recall. Starting my call up the chain at Subaru to get the reimbursement issue resolved. This is my fourth Forester - shame on Subaru for punishing me for getting my car repaired.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,288 Posts
I just dropped my 15 Forester off this afternoon for the annual PA state inspection/emissions. When going over the work they were going to do, they also stated they will perform Recall A. I asked what that was and they said it for rear coil spring replacement. Mine aren't broken as far as I know, but wit 58k of heavy family hauling duty, I look forward to getting rid of the rear sag that has developed with the current springs.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts