Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the drivers rear coil spring just broke, the vehicle now has about 50k miles on it. I have never even heard of this happening before and now Subaru has a recall for it. It makes me question the quality of the whole vehicle.
I can find no confirmation anywhere of such a recall, including on the official site NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Where did you read about this?

For the record, using the only actual statistics (based on hundreds of thousands of actual vehicle) available to the public, of the brands you mention (Subaru, Ford, Honda, Toyota), comparing their compact crossovers (Forester, Escape, CR-V, RAV4), all have fallen to no better than "average" overall reliability, with the Ford below average. The current most reliable car in the class is the Mazda CX-5.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
533 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As with anything published by Torquebait News, I will believe it when I see it.

And, if it is true, it won't bother me. Safety recalls on a five-year old car that replace the defective parts for free don't bother me at all. What bothers me are companies that deny that they have a problem, refuse to even issue technical bulletins, let alone recalls, and have to be sued by governments before they finally admit there's an issue.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Prem Auto
10 Posts
My 14 had BOTH rear compression springs fail before 45K miles and I was told today that there is an open recall. My dealer said we would get notified soon but I had already called corporate and had Service Program WUT05 at the ready for my dealer. I wouldn't have known that either was broken (the breaks are very close to the bottom - about 2" of spring length) except 1 fully dislodged with a BOOM and so the car dropped on the driver side. So I inspected the passenger side and I could see a break near the bottom and sure enough I could move the broken end of the spring with my finger tip with the rest of the spring under load. Lucky it didn't pop on me.

This may be old news here but I share to help others with an obvious defect. They are easy to inspect without jacking your forry.

Many others with same issue:

Link Here says recall coming for 2013-18

Complaints are piling up

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
749 Posts
Anyways agree with Rdclark. Wow, didn't know about the rear coil springs breaking and I just had two services done by local dealer and they said nothing about this recall, looked it up and my car is affected. Gee thanks for nothing Autonation Subaru...

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
158 Posts
How big a piece of the coil? Just the tip off the end?

I'd imagine that would be where any kind of corrosion might get to them and cause trouble.

And I agree, you don't need the eyesight, just can it.

·
Administrator
13,115 Posts
The rear spring recall is claimed to be due to corrosion
I reckon there must be a fault in the manufacture of the coil. In all my offroading with my vehicles and accompanied by many other types of vehicle for more years than I care to remember I have never witnessed a broken coil spring! Leaf springs, yes, but never a coil.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Info on the coil spring issue:

So my skepticism was misplaced in this case: I can confirm the rear coil spring recall. Surprisingly, it still doesn’t show up for me via a VIN search on the NHSTA site, nor have I yet received mail from Subaru. However, today I took our ‘15 in for a an oil change and to have the brake-light switch recall taken care of, and the dealer informed me of the spring recall, that they’d just gotten the parts I this morning, and could take care of it immediately.

I consider this to be all positive, based on the premise that no car can possibly be designed perfectly with every part manufactured and installed without flaw. The true test is how readily the manufacturer acknowledges and fixes the problems without needing to be challenged by government agencies or consumer organizations.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
533 Posts
Torquenews does lend itself to a bit of “over-zealous reporting” at times, so I fully understand a bit of skepticism.

As a BMW as well as a Subaru owner, I can state the BMW has also had coil spring replacement issues in the past, primarily in northern areas where road salts are heavily used.

Like you, I consider recalls positive things... much better that no recalls in cases where there should be recalls.

No manufacturer makes perfect products. Even CR reported recently that some manufacturer was issuing a recall of hammers, and hammers consist of only 2 parts.... handle and hammerhead. Stuff breaks, mistakes in manufacturing happen, designs can be flawed... it happens all the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It does not look like the spring recall is coming up by VIN; Do you have a reference number for this Recall so that if I go ask them about it they will know where to look it up. I have to go see them in the next 1k anyway for my oil inspection.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
612 Posts
I don’t see any manufacturer communication on NHTSA for 2015 Foresters for coil springs. Does anyone have a TSB download pdf file for the coil springs?

·
Registered
612 Posts
UPDATE:
The recall for rear coil springs showed up in My Subaru app after hyperlinking to the MS website.

I made an appointment with my dealership next week. My Subaru shows Open Recall: rear coil springs.

Strange, it doesn’t show in NHTSA or My Subaru app. I’ll call in the AM to confirm.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where was this? I had the brake switch done long ago, am open on the airbag connector... I would like to find the confirmation online.
My dealer is Rafferty, in Newtown Square PA. The invoice lists "WUT-05" as the recall item, for "certain 2014-2016 Forester vehicles." The part number (Coil Spring R Kit) is X2038SG010.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My dealer is Rafferty, in Newtown Square PA. The invoice lists "WUT-05" as the recall item, for "certain 2014-2016 Forester vehicles." The part number (Coil Spring R Kit) is X2038SG010.
The above part number shows as NLA, no longer Available. X2038SG010.
In Annapolis Subaru parts search. There is a new superseded part number for rear coil springs for my 15 Forester.
20380SG021

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
443 Posts
Same, entered my VIN# at subaru.com, recall shows up as "Open" with info below, no info yet at MySubaru.

Type: Customer Satisfaction|
  • Service Campaign: WUT05|
  • NHTSA Campaign: N/A
  • Forester Rear Coil Springs
  • Description
    TBD
    Safety Risk
    TBD
    Remedy
    TBD

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring Auto-CVT
285 Posts
Both of mine had to be replaced a few months ago. It was an incidental finding by my dealer who noticed the back end of my car sagging. They replaced them at no charge (not even labor) and this was well before the recall came out. My service manager let me know that they were pretty sure a TSB was coming out but it was on the down low at the time. They deserve some credit though as they have always been really good to me with these things and others. My car seems to burn oil, not enough to qualify as an oil burner yet, so they give me a free quart at every oil change to keep in my car just in case I run into trouble or need to top it off. Doing the oil consumption test again. Shout out to Byers Airport Subaru.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts