Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT Touring 4 speed auto 4EAT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this... I am wondering is one extra forward gear would make a difference in the gas mileage, I have driven 1600+ miles in mixed city and highway and the computer says I've only been able to average 19.5 mpg according to the trip A ... high cruise is 70-73mph with the cruise control on fairly flat road ... the b trip I always reset and the short term MPG is 20.4 ... I need to break 250miles per tank for this to make it worth wild. Right now my 4.7 powertech jeep gets this mileage and i drive both cars the same ... with the jeep being slightly better with it getting 260-270 per tank ...

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
From what i am told it would cost as much a 6 speed swap but i dont know anyone personally that has done it.

·
Registered
2010 2.5XT AT
113 Posts
That's some really bad mileage. Any mods to your XT? I've done 19mpg with a bit of spirited driving, and I'm on wider tires and wheels. Otherwise I'm averaging 21-23mpg mixed highway/traffic(with hills for 6 miles) with an average speed of 70-80mph.

I have yet to read about anyone doing a 5EAT swap on their SH. I believe they are on the S-Edition SHs, but I haven't read much about those.

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
831 Posts
I don't have a turbo, but my 5 speed consistently returns between 24-28 mps and that's cruising at 65-70 and a bit of spirited driving. love me some fun pedal:rock:

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
155 Posts
Maybe shoot Aussie Dave a message as he was going to do it a while back and bought a 5EAT, but there were some issues and it didn't go ahead. He's running a Cosworth build now though with a 6 speed. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
Unless you can find a 5EAT will a fairly low front diff ratio and the matching rear diff, DON'T BOTHER!
I get exactly the same mileage as other auto Foz's with similar mods/tunes/fuel (right Dirty Dazzz???)

Sure it sounds like the 5EAT would be better for mileage, but it's not unfortunately...

And yeah, cost wise, it's about the same as going to the 6MT...do that instead :lol:

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT Touring 4 speed auto 4EAT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have absolutely no mods ... it's bone stock .. i might have to take it to the dealer and see if they can reflash the comp... as far as the spirited driving .. i live about a mile from the highway and once i do get there i do about 70 on the cruise control ... in the north east if your doing the limit your moving to slow... but this is the funny part it's just a few hilly parts and the best i get if i go down 287 to the sprain south is 21.3-7 ... versus the hutch which is windy and hilly 19.5-20.1 ... distance wise its about 5 miles difference with the sprain being longer ...

·
Registered
2010 FXT slush-box
662 Posts
MPG

Roof rack cross bars?

I hear removing them is good for 1-3 MPG in highway... I believe it was a consumer reports article.

And of course, remove all the extra weight and unnecessary items in back, fully inflate tires, etc.

just my 2c

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
20 mpg isn't bad

I get about 17.5 in mine

remember they add stuff to fuel in winter that adversely affects gas mileage

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
also, how much $$ would you save annually if you were to get another 5mpg?

500 bucks maybe?

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
547 Posts
^This

I also think the days of manual transmissions getting substantially better mileage than auto transmissions are over...in fact in many cases I think the opposite may be true. You would be spending a substantial amount of money for a very marginal return...if any. I believe that you also may lower the resale value of the car, since it will be modified. You would have to find a buyer that is willing to trust your work and be willing to pay a premium for the car.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
i have absolutely no mods ... it's bone stock .. i might have to take it to the dealer and see if they can reflash the comp... as far as the spirited driving .. i live about a mile from the highway and once i do get there i do about 70 on the cruise control ... in the north east if your doing the limit your moving to slow... but this is the funny part it's just a few hilly parts and the best i get if i go down 287 to the sprain south is 21.3-7 ... versus the hutch which is windy and hilly 19.5-20.1 ... distance wise its about 5 miles difference with the sprain being longer ...
I have '13 and live right around you. I get the same type of mileage. It is what it is. A 5EAT is not going to help, especially after the costs involved. I think you would also need a custom drive shaft and myriad of other parts. I also have a legacy with the 5EAT. That car dos get better mileage, but the revs aren't really any lower. More because of the 6 cylinder and aerodynamics I think. What would help is a tune. That is just a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Automatic
219 Posts
have you also calculated elevation (ft. above sea level) into the mix? Also, i tend to get worse gas mileage in the winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts