Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hubby has a 2012 subaru forester xt premium w a 2.5L turbo engine. About a month ago the engine blew. I've tried finding a reman engine but no go. Apparently this engine is rare. I have found a few used ones in other states and can have them shipped to me. what engine is in this vehicle? Ej? F4? I'm lost.

My other question is : what other engines can fit this forester? We need to get one ordered quickly and subaru won't jelp me out.
Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,044 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You actually already have the answers to your question sitting on your driveway or where ever the car is. Pop the bonnet and you'll see a small rectangular metal plate, probably near one of the suspension turrets (Look directly above the wheels) and it will say what engine you have, as well as your VIN number, transmission code etc. If you decide to post the details of the metal plate on the forum, don't post the last 4 digits of your VIN number, as those figures are individual to your own vehicle as a precaution.
Below is an example of what you're looking for:

What exactly is wrong with the engine? "blown" can mean a lot of things. It could be that you just need a shortblock and reuse your existing cylinder heads, or it might be a case of just needing a new valve train and your shortblock is fine......In which case, you could save a lot of money vs a new engine.

F4 = Flat 4 engine = All Subaru engines
EJ = Series of engine, there were many variants within the EJ series. The EJ series was killed a short while back unfortunately. It is generally pretty reliable and can be modified to make big power if done correctly.

Are you looking for a long term and more reliable fix or a cheaper quicker fix to move the vehicle on in the short term ?

This is global forum so including your country would help direct you to a local source.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that information I will definitely look for the metal plate.

As far as being blown. I've had 2 different mechanics (1 being a good friend and neighbor) both tell me it was blown and I would need a new one. We tried to turn the crank and it doesn't even move. The car overheated while he was on his way home from om work. He went to check the oil to see if it was milky and there was NO oil on the dipstick. I know there was a class action suit here in the US that involved the foresters with oil consumption but it was a suit back in 2014. We bought the car used in 2017.

We are looking more for a long term fix as we still owe on it and we'd be way upside down if we traded it in.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
861 Posts
Not intended to be bitchy or troublemaking, but I wouldn't let your husband anywhere near another car until he learns and practices the absolute basics of car maintenance which includes regularly checking the engine oil level.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,044 Posts
That is handy having a friend/neighbour as a mechanic as you can run ideas by him to save some money and speed up the process.

Low/No oil is unfortunately the quickest way to kill a Subaru engine :( He really needed to be checking the oil level at least once a month and before and after every long trip.

The bearings inside the block are likely cooked, meaning it would probably make more sense to replace the shortblock, as it would then come with pistons, bearings etc already installed, saving you time and money as you wouldn't need an engine builder. The piston rings from memory were the reason some engines consumed oil in the lawsuit.

Your big problem is going to be knowing if the turbo is ok or if that is shot if that suffered no oil - Especially if the engine was being run hard at the time. The turbo is separate to the engine but likely common to the Impreza so bound to be used options out there for reasonable money.

If you are lucky and your cylinder heads are ok (You have Dual AVCS - Controls the valve timing to make more power or use less fuel depending on the mode) but Dual AVCS uses oil pressure as I understand so that is a question mark., you can save a lot of money reusing your old cylinder, you'll just need a head gasket and some cylinder head bolts (Please don't reuse your old ones, as they aren't designed for that and could likely leak, requiring a rebuild). you would want the cylinder head mating surface refinished by a machine shop which can be a fairly quick procedure. Obviously reusing your old cylinder heads would mean a little more mechanic time and involving a machine shop.

For Subaru part numbers, useage and links to get you started with google: OpposedForces 2012 Forester XT
Complete engine assembly (Known as a Long block) - Including Shortblock, Heads, all assembled and ready to go in the car, excluding turbo 10100BS000 Engine code: EJ255BPZMB

Shortblock Diagram Part numbers: Here: 11008AA950 - Looking at this page, it looks like the shortblock is compatible with the SG and SH Forester, as well as the Similar years EJ255 from the Impreza and Legacy

Alternative source for Shortblock from IAG that could dispatch within 3 days: https://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-Performance-Staged-Subaru-Short-Blocks-s/15269.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=15269&show=30&page=1

If you decide to get any new genuine Subaru parts, I would recommend contacting Jackie from Annapolis Maryland Subaru. She has an account on here too and she gives forum members discounts. I've bought items from her in the past and I can't recommend her enough She has her own section on this forum here: https://www.subaruforester.org/forums/annapolis-subaru.125/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not intended to be bitchy or troublemaking, but I wouldn't let your husband anywhere near another car until he learns and practices the absolute basics of car maintenance which includes regularly checking the engine oil level.
He does check the level. There was a class action suit in 2014 about the oil consumption but we bought the vehicle in 2017

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
861 Posts
But if the level was being checked regularly, how is it possible that the sump was found to be virtually dry? If the level was being monitored, that could only happen with a sudden mass loss of oil, which is not what the class action lawasuit was about. The suit was about a higher than industry standard loss of oil over a sustained period of time, due mainly to piston ring problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum.

You actually already have the answers to your question sitting on your driveway or where ever the car is. Pop the bonnet and you'll see a small rectangular metal plate, probably near one of the suspension turrets (Look directly above the wheels) and it will say what engine you have, as well as your VIN number, transmission code etc. If you decide to post the details of the metal plate on the forum, don't post the last 4 digits of your VIN number, as those figures are individual to your own vehicle as a precaution.
Below is an example of what you're looking for:
View attachment 524722

What exactly is wrong with the engine? "blown" can mean a lot of things. It could be that you just need a shortblock and reuse your existing cylinder heads, or it might be a case of just needing a new valve train and your shortblock is fine......In which case, you could save a lot of money vs a new engine.

F4 = Flat 4 engine = All Subaru engines
EJ = Series of engine, there were many variants within the EJ series. The EJ series was killed a short while back unfortunately. It is generally pretty reliable and can be modified to make big power if done correctly.

Are you looking for a long term and more reliable fix or a cheaper quicker fix to move the vehicle on in the short term ?

This is global forum so including your country would help direct you to a local source.
So I didn't find a metal plate but I did find a barcode... See picture below... Would I have the EJ255 Engine then?
20191007_182021.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,044 Posts
Looks like you have the EJ255BPWMB - The differences throughout the years on the EJ255 seem to be in the heads, with the shortblock remaining the same. The heads you have seem to be particular to the BPWMB variant. Hopefully where ever you buy the engine, if you go new, will be able to confirm for sure.

That is pretty poor of subaru to switch from a metal plate that lasts years to a sticker :(

I've updated the post above with updated links as some weren't linking to the correct parts.

PS Due to the oil consumption on some engines around 2011-2012 ish , I would be very weary of buying a used engine unless it came with a bullet proof guarantee.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
151 Posts
So hubby has a 2012 subaru forester xt premium w a 2.5L turbo engine. About a month ago the engine blew. I've tried finding a reman engine but no go. Apparently this engine is rare. I have found a few used ones in other states and can have them shipped to me. what engine is in this vehicle? Ej? F4? I'm lost.

My other question is : what other engines can fit this forester? We need to get one ordered quickly and subaru won't jelp me out.
Can anyone help me out?
Sorry to hear that.....:(
There is a good reason why Subaru will not help you out...... The oil consumption lawsuit only applied to the newly designed non-turbo FB engines, not the old generation EJ turbo engine that's in your car......Perhaps someone **** up on your last oil change, and put in 0W20 instead of the required 5W30 ?. :unsure:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like you have the EJ255BPWMB - The differences throughout the years on the EJ255 seem to be in the heads, with the shortblock remaining the same. The heads you have seem to be particular to the BPWMB variant. Hopefully where ever you buy the engine, if you go new, will be able to confirm for sure.

That is pretty poor of subaru to switch from a metal plate that lasts years to a sticker :(

I've updated the post above with updated links as some weren't linking to the correct parts.

PS Due to the oil consumption on some engines around 2011-2012 ish , I would be very weary of buying a used engine unless it came with a bullet proof guarantee.
As far as a used engine goes, that seems to be the only other option as I can not for the life of me find a new one. I have called numerous places and can't even find a reman or anything of this stupid engine. Short of buying the short block and doing it ourselves I'm not sure what else to do. That's why I was hoping another engine would fit.

I saw this (see picture) and wondered if I could find an engine for one of these vehicles like the impreze or legacy?

Screenshot_20191007-193929_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,044 Posts
That is pretty crazy to have so many problems finding a reman engine.

By sounds of it, Subaru switched to Dual AVCS on the EJ255 in 2008 so in theory, any engine from 2009-2012 should fit yours, perhaps others too. If you check my links above, you can cross match part numbers for your 2012 to see what years Impreza and Legacy also used your same EJ255

It would be worth sending a PM to @SubaruPartsGirl (Jackie at Annapolis Subaru) or calling her to see what kind of pricing she can do for you on a LongBlock and separately just a shortblock, engine bolts and engine gasket set (For the Intake, exhaust, Head gaskets and anything else you might need for swapping the shortblock and reusing your current heads.) She might even be able to tell you the differences between the similar year Impreza and Legacy for cross-compatibility.

I've been thinking about how your engine can suddenly lose enough oil to cause overheating and seizure and assuming you have no oil leak, I'm guessing one or more of the oil control rings that make up the piston rings might have gone bad, causing you to suddenly burn oil - But I would expect to see some smoke out the back unless you were travelling at highway speeds when it ran out of oil.......Unfortunately ringland failure (causing piston ring failure) is not uncommon to the EJ255 but much rarer in an unmodified engine, unless it was being driven hard and not gently warmed up before hard use etc. To counter ringland failure, it means new piston and rings, which you would get in a new shortblock anyway. It is why some of us during engine rebuilds fit forged pistons that resist ringland failure much more than factory fitted pistons. The only way to know if you suffered ringland failure/piston ring failure is when the engine is taken apart.

Generally Cosworth head gaskets are a better quality than Subaru factory head gaskets too and would certainly be on my radar if I was fitting a new shortblock
They can be sourced from RallySportDirect if Jackie can't source them.
Timing belt kits can be sourced from RockAuto and I would be looking at fitting the Aisin kit if it was compatible. - Since everything will be apart, it makes perfect sense to change the belts as the labour would in effect be free and those belts are supposed to be changed every 6 years from memory anyway.

Having a quick look on Ebay.com there is so much mislabelled stuff on there I'm not sure how anyone can hope to buy the correct part. - For example an EJ255 Non turbo reman engine lol - There is no such thing

Depending on how it works out with Jackie, I think I would be leaning towards getting a new shortblock, gasket set etc and reuse the old heads, knowing it was done right and you aren't gambling on a used engine that could die in 3 months time for example. Has the old engine been removed from the car yet by chance? If so, your neighbour mechanic might be able to start looking into how the heads look, assuming the timing belt didn't snap when the engine seized. If it had snapped and pistons and valves had come together, that does change things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok all... So I found a company with a 2.0L who says it should only need to be flashed. Someone else told me that it would be too much to switch from the 2.5L to the 2.0L.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? I really need to get an engine like this week and if no on the 2.0 I'm getting a used one from lkq and unfortunately it will have at least 100k mi on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
You don’t want an 2.0, unless you’re modifying things. You need any ej255 or 257, the 257 would technically be an improvement I guess. But eBay is littered with them. IAG also sells performance oriented shortblocks, but that may be out of price range. That being said, I’d try giving them a call. They may have suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I was thinking.. Get the 2.5 L.
I'm scared about getting one from ebay though since it's a whole engine and it's iffy. Lkq has a few and they know for sure if they run or not. This whole engine thing has been a roller-coaster since it started in the beginning of September.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Call IAG and see if they have a line on an OEM or if they know of a vendor. Ebay could be hit or miss, but you may be dealing with a quality vendor there. Have to ask questions. I wouldn't just click buy it now...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And that's why I was going to go with LKQ. I can call and ask about the engines, if they run etc, and I believe they have some kind of warranty as well.
Ebay scares me with anything over $100. It's always hit or miss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I talked with a JDM shop north of Chicago, and they have a shortblock from a running Legacy GT 2.5L for $600. They also told me they could install it as well. To install the 2.0L it would be $1500 +/- if anything else was bad and needed replacing.

Would a 2.5L shortblock be the better way to go? Instead of swapping out to the 2.0L?

Subaru Jackie never got back to me.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,916 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,044 Posts
I would be asking: Would a 2.0 shortblock mess up the fuelling and current map on the car? Would it affect the compression ratios ?

I know some use the 2.2 turbo shortblock as a starting point for builds using 2.5 heads

1 - 20 of 26 Posts