Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT AT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Replacing my timing belt/water pump all idler bearings. I just wanted to get you guys opinion, doing my timing belt change and I've come across a little bump, My water pump screw "F" is located behind the driverside back timing belt cover! (Red Circle in the picture) The service manual wants me to remove the sprocket, requiring me to buy 2 extra tools! I was thinking of using a heat gun to bend that corner so I can unscrew it and then heating the plastic back to shape and making sure it doesn't interfere with the timing belt or maybe even just cutting that cover off!. My logic is that it's just a dust cover...What do you guys think of my heat gun move? am insane? or will it work? or maybe you have a better plan? Thanks, any input/opinion is welcome!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Manual 6-speed
63 Posts
What’s the price of the Tool’s? Are they tools that you can get through autozone tool loan program? I would explore those options first.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT AT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm an idiot the last screw is actually right below that corner and needed a 3/8 socket to fit...Wow what an exhausting work doing the timing belt, my cam timing kept moving even with a cam lock. Had to drive it from Los Angeles to San Jose it survived! I was praying nothing goes wrong. Gonna check the belt condition soon so see if things are still working as it should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts