135K with complete new engine at 100K
ADF lift kit 2" front and 2 3/8" rear
Cooper 215 70R16 AT3 4S SL
New CV axles
End links
Control arm assemblies
KYB Excel-G shocks on the front w/existing springs
RalliTEK 0.25" Rear Sport Springs & KYB Excel-G Struts Assembled

Can't buy KYB (eom) complete strut assemblies from Rallitek (or anywhere that I can find). It was suggested that I just put the original springs back with KYB shocks. Softer ride anyway, I'm told. I also replaced the strut mounts.

In short, the front suspension is still knocking a little bit. Not sure if it's the installation, or whether I should just bite the bullet and find a complete strut assembly that is comparable to KYB/Rallitek.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.0D 6MT
26 Posts
When you say 'knocking', do you mean just noise, or is the ride too harsh and deflecting over bumps?

Did you replace the sway bar pivot bushes also, or just the end links? I replaced both on my 2012, and found it quietened down a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knocking like old shocks going over crappy concrete. It definitely the fronts. I'm not sure if they were installed incorrectly, or if I need to replace those original springs, or....

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.0D 6MT
26 Posts
Yeah mine was like that. Very rattly over corrugations, it was doing my head in. I'd definitely replace the sway bar bushes if they haven't been done recently. They're cheap and it's an easy job. Mine is riding pretty nicely now, with the original front shocks and springs at 180,000km.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.0D 6MT
26 Posts
Just the standard rubber ones, imo. The high performance ones look like polyurethane, which has a tendency to get noisy if it's not greased.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some bad news today. Took the Stupidroo in to the shop for balancing and front end alignment as I thought the lift saga was finally over. Notsomuch.

Turns out the driveshaft and the left rear axle are rubbing on the exhaust. Also they tell me the front sway bar and end links look like they're ready to pop - too much stress. The CV boot has ripped right off.

Headed to custom exhaust shop in the morning...

Here's what I've done so far:

2012 Subaru Forester

135K with complete new engine at 100K

ADF lift kit 2" front and 2 3/8" rear

Cooper 215 70R16 AT3 4S SL

New CV axles

End links

Control arm assemblies

KYB Excel-G shocks on the front w/existing springs

RalliTEK 0.25" Rear Sport Springs & KYB Excel-G Struts Assembled

·
Registered
99 Forester 5MT
62 Posts
My struts were doing that after a rebuild. I ended up using the old springs and tophats. Had to tighten the top nut on with an impact after a noisy first drive and it went away. I guess I just couldn't get it tight enough otherwise. Seems fine now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My struts were doing that after a rebuild. I ended up using the old springs and tophats. Had to tighten the top nut on with an impact after a noisy first drive and it went away. I guess I just couldn't get it tight enough otherwise. Seems fine now.
i jsut got a 99 also..nice ride.......mine came lifted with 30" tires and im having some clearance issues. going to be reading on here, but not sure how i can get more space behind the fronts, and the rears are tight.....sawzaw time maybe
!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts