Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out of my 2012 Forester X and caught a whiff of burning oil today. I found oil pooling under the AC compressor and found 2 hoses running into a "PCV Hose Connector" PN 11821AA660. It was covered with oil seepage. Has anyone had issues woth this part? I can't find anything on it anywhere so I'm suspect of it being that actual problem. I'm also wondering if the hoses/clamps need replaced.

There's a metal gasket (head gasket) near the seepage as well. I'm hoping that is not the issue. It should have been replaced in 2017 when Subaru rebuilt the lower half of the motor for the oil ring problem.

See photos below.

I appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

5C902A86-E90D-4F79-96DE-E9694D496209.jpeg
AD8656DD-4B5F-4CDA-8A72-5F3BA78B4F4E.jpeg

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Your PCV valve could very well be clogged. Luckily, they are easy to get to, as you can see.
Take it out and see if it rattles. It is supposed to.
You can see what happens when you clean it with some throttle body or carburetor cleaner spray so it starts rattling again. If not, you may want to replace it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
840 Posts
It may not be torqued correctly. I don’t have the torque spec but a lot techs don’t bother. After cleaning and/or replacement, torque the bolts to spec.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,606 Posts
I got out of my 2012 Forester X and caught a whiff of burning oil today. I found oil pooling under the AC compressor and found 2 hoses running into a "PCV Hose Connector" PN 11821AA660. It was covered with oil seepage. Has anyone had issues woth this part? I can't find anything on it anywhere so I'm suspect of it being that actual problem. I'm also wondering if the hoses/clamps need replaced.

There's a metal gasket (head gasket) near the seepage as well. I'm hoping that is not the issue. It should have been replaced in 2017 when Subaru rebuilt the lower half of the motor for the oil ring problem.

See photos below.

I appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

View attachment 524000 View attachment 523999
That oil looks like it's leaking from the timing chain cover.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further speculation, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the head gasket. There's seepage on both sides of the metal gasket. 🤔

I'm going to start by cleaning up the mess and replacing the PCV valve, followed up by monitoring that area for visible oil leakage and monitoring its oil consumption.

Excess pressure in the crankcase could explain why it's leaking there. It sounds like it flaps but I wouldn't call it a rattle. The valve has yet to be replaced, I think, so no real harm in hoping/trying.

I'll be giving the subaru dealership a call Monday to see if they have anything to offer. They replaced these in December of 2017. 🙄

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on this, if anyone gives a hoot..

Replaced the PCV valve. It seems like it was definitely clogged after comparing the "rattle" of the OEM replacement with what I removed.

I took the pcv connector hose fitting off as well to inspect it. I do not recommend it. Apparently one hose is to some emissions box, and the other is coolant. Coolant went friggin everywhere, including down the emissions port on the crankcase and into the oil. Not a fantastic moment.

I replaced this anyhow because it was just a rubber gasket, and feared I may have damaged the seal by taking it off..

Cleaned everything up and after burping the cooling system at advanced auto parts after the red temp light started flashing on the way to the airport. 🙄 ... Things seem to be good.

Will keep an eye on it and try to keep this updated for anyone else having similar issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts