Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Subaru Forester with approximately 75000 miles and it has a small oil leak somewhere and I can smell it burning off. I'm very disappointed that it would develop a leak at such low mileage. We bought the car used because of Subaru's reputation for quality. The local Subaru dealer wants to charge $170.00 just to look at it to see where the leak is. Not happy.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
777 Posts
I've had a Subie for 22 yrs., and just accept the oil leaks.
If you park in a garage get an oil drip pan at AutoZone (etc.) for a reasonable price to keep your garage floor clean.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X
3 Posts
I was woried about oil leaks in my 2012 forester until I started drifting in snow, when all 4 wheels grip and you move forward, you just forget about the oil leaks for a bit.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
962 Posts
Unless one knows exactly what the source of an oil leak is, it seems a bit premature to feel negative towards a vehicle brand. There are just too many variables in a 10-12 year old vehicle with 75K miles, purchased used, to blame the brand without examining the vehicle history.

That applies to every brand of vehicle...

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,313 Posts
^^ That. Figure out what the issue is before jumping to conclusions.

Also, what is with all the rant threads lately? No questions, not asking for help diagnosing the issue, not asking for advice, just pure ranting. Not a good way to garner sympathy or help.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
139 Posts
I'll jump of the side of the op. I can understand the frustration especially the smell of burning oil. I have the same issue and the smell of burning oil is a constant reminder of the problem.
So yeah its not a big deal and if it was just leaking it would be out of sight out of mind but those exhaust pipes act as the perfect oil catch pan.

That being said it is 10 years old and with that mileage it wasn't driven a lot so gaskets and seals may have harden and cracked. So my advice pay the $170 and see where that rabbit hole leads or do what I do and live with it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Cross Sports (JDM)
63 Posts
With a nearly 10-years old car, you should expect this kind of "issues".

If that's the only "major" issue that you encountered with the car so far I would say that it's actually not that bad...

·
Registered
21 Posts
To the OP
I’d be a bit more frustrated with the $170 diagnosis fee, rather than the manufacturer of at ~9 year old vehicle.

Are you familiar enough with your car to do a bit of self diagnosing with a torch to find out where the leak is.

I’d be finding a different mechanic to take it to.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,045 Posts

The above will give you an idea of the different places the engine can develop a leak. I will add that a low mileage older vehicle has not been driven a lot and is more likely to suffer from dried-out engine seals. Try some 5w30 high mileage oil and see if that refreshes them a bit and lessens the leaking.

·
Registered
2005 CGM FXT
451 Posts
my money is on valve cover gaskets - if you can smell an oil leak, you're probably smelling the smoke from oil burning off on the exhaust.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
962 Posts
I I had a vehicle that I purchased new, only 3-4 years old with low mileage, I’d be bent about an oil leak.

OTOH, a 10+ year old vehicle purchased used, with no history on what’s been/not been done to the vehicle, it would be different story entirely...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts