Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Manual Transmission
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to forum. Bought my 2012 Forester 2.5x 5-speed through Carvana at end 2018. It has 94k miles. Runs like a top. Came to me using 0-20w full synthetic. I see allot of talk of other grades. Am I using the right one? I also just changed the rear brake pads myself, pretty easy to do. Love my SUV!! What is a good period of miles between oil changes. Appears to be about 4-5k miles for normal drive 24 miles round trip to and from work 5 days a week.

Subaruing in Charlotte.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,755 Posts
@maclachlan67 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

I moved your first thread to this sub-forum, which is a better fit for the questions you're asking.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: maclachlan67

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,284 Posts
In your 2012 owners manual, the manufacturer recommends 5.5 quarts (with filter change) of 0W20 synthetic motor oil. Non-severe driving oil change interval was 7.5 months /7,500 miles for the 2012 2.5X but was reduced to 6 months/6,000 miles for the same engine in later model years (most likely to address oil consumption issues). Personally I go with 5,000 mile engine oil change intervals - easier to remember at 5k, 10k, 15k miles etc. with the three Subarus that I maintain.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
703 Posts
Welcome to forum.
5 spd. It has 94k miles. ... What is a good period of miles between oil changes. Appears to be about 4-5k miles for normal drive 24 miles round trip to and from work 5 days a week.
4-5K miles is a good oil change rate. I do mine a bit more frequently, but that 'cuz I live in a dusty place. Also remember to change the tranny fluid, so easy for prior owners to forget; same with radiator coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts