Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2012 Forester X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting loud grinding sounds from front end/axles/...wheel hubs maybe. After my 1st time clutch change of a fwd vehicle. Been servicing my own & friends cars for over 35 years.
Any help appreciated !

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,515 Posts
There are a lot of things that can cause a grinding sound, but not much in your post to narrow it down.
Does it make that noise constantly?
Does the sound change with speed... with the speed of the engine.. different in gears... in neutral ?
Does it seem to be on one side or the other?

· Registered
2012 Forester X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grinding gets louder with speed & sounds worse while turning, especially with left turning. No grinding at idle or at very low speed. It's Definitely speed related. I had replaced the right knuckle & bearing while I was doing a basic overhaul; new mufflers & pipes, change all fluids, brakes & disc's, clutch, ball joints, Anything I could see it needed. It was working all good before the clutch burned out & the shifter jammed when that happened but All linkage is good.
I rechecked axles & rest of the front end... I found nothing out of place...???
Reply welcome !

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,515 Posts
You might want to get it on a lift and see if you can find the culprit and/or make it misbehave in the air under power.
A grinding bearing should make some noise even when manually rotated and/or there is a lot of play.

Sounds like a CV joint, maybe on the left side, but it could also be any bearing in the drivetrain front end, as any of these tend to make more noise with increased speed of rotation.

What happens when you are driving along with the grinding noise and you put in the clutch? Shift into neutral? Any change?

· Registered
2012 Forester X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to get it on a lift and see if you can find the culprit and/or make it misbehave in the air under power.
A grinding bearing should make some noise even when manually rotated and/or there is a lot of play.

Sounds like a CV joint, maybe on the left side, but it could also be any bearing in the drivetrain front end, as any of these tend to make more noise with increased speed of rotation.

What happens when you are driving along with the grinding noise and you put in the clutch? Shift into neutral? Any change?
The grinding is same in neutral. The cv's feel tight & the are no thud's when stoping or starting forward or reverse. I had replaced the right bearing only... that was some work, had to hammer & pry it out...rusted right in place but cleaned it up good, coated w/ anti-seize & bolted as per torch stats.
Question: could cv joints get damaged much if stressed while removing axles from hubs. I didn't remove tie rods because they were rusted solid so I removed axles by pulling on hubs and I did put stess on cv's but nothing Extreme. I understand the physics of stress on cv's so I was careful but I did wonder if I had created a problem that wasn't there by chance.
Thanks again for any input, I plan on buying a new set of bearings and putting both in & like you said, lift it up & run off the ground to see if the sound is still present.
Any & all thoughts are welcome!

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,515 Posts
Anything is possible, but you are in a better position to evaluate what you did than I am.
There are bearings on the transmission end of the shafts as well.. not as common perhaps.
Hopefully the lift exercise will be revealing, and if it were me, I'd try to isolate the problem rather than throw parts at a symptom.
At this point all I can say is good luck, so...
Good Luck!

· Registered
2012 Forester X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anything is possible, but you are in a better position to evaluate what you did than I am.
There are bearings on the transmission end of the shafts as well.. not as common perhaps.
Hopefully the lift exercise will be revealing, and if it were me, I'd try to isolate the problem rather than throw parts at a symptom.
At this point all I can say is good luck, so...
Good Luck!
Thanks for your input, it helps to know that someone else who knows mechanics is suggesting the same ideas as my own thoughts. For integrity sake I'll let you know how things turn out my friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts