Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 forester
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, does anyone have a remedy for a rattling exhaust manifold heat shield? can I remove it? A few sheet metal screws along the front edges didn't solve the problem. I've seen large hose clamps suggested but that seems like a "hack" to me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
360 Posts
If it is a clam shell shield with packing beneath it (like over the catalytic converter) you can also put a few small stainless sheet metal screws through it to hold it against the pipe. A little hack, but the ease, cost, and suitability of the hack fix versus the real fix (more than likely replace the exhaust or component where the bolts seized in) - its almost a no-brainer. Its just an exhaust system - unless you attend a car show and park on a mirror literally no one will know, and if you told them, they wouldn't even care :)

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
1,061 Posts
I've removed a few heat shields from various locations on my foresters over the years and have yet to catch anything on fire or hear a passenger complain. My 03 runs bare headers vs the stock exhaust manifold and no heat related issues. So yeah, you can probably guess my suggestion.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
Heat shields are needed for worst-case situations. Red-hot exhaust manifolds etc.

If you're a normal driver these conditions never arise and some (most?) heat shields can be safely removed.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
Its hard to identify exactly where the rattle is coming from in my experience. I did have final success with a couple rattles from the front heat shields by cutting the "tabs" off and then using a stainless steel band clamp to get things tight again around the downpipe.

I personally drive in some dry places, sometimes through standing dry grasses. I remember in the 70's seeing some rather large prairie fires occur as people would park a vehicle with a hot catalytic and the grass under it would ignite and spread.

Really depends on your geography thought......

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,484 Posts
I’ve used nickel chromium wire to hold loose heat shielding in place. NC wire doesn’t rust or weaken with time. Other heat shields are barely hanging on, with little rusted nubs where the bolts/nuts used to be. All on our 03 Forester XS. (East coast winters did a number on the exhaust system).

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium 2.5x Automatic 4sp
238 Posts
I always get this issue with my 2010 Forester after services by non Subaru shop.
A visit to a dealer shop takes care of that. The oil change cost is almost the same, and my dealer is good and mostly trustworthy. So I go there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts