Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping to get your thoughts and opinions on a problem that we are having with our relatively new Forester. It's a 2012 2.5x premium with 57,000 mi. About a month ago I started noticing an intermittent oil smell. It's been to cold for me to take a look at it so I ended up taking it to the Mazda dealer we purchased it from (had a trade and they gave us the best deal), since it was still under there dealer warranty. Within an hour they let me know that there appears to be oil leaking from the valve cover. They said it is still under the factory warranty and called the Subaru dealer they were affiliated with to get me set up for a repair this coming Wednesday. I was pretty happy that they found the problem immediately and worked with the Subaru dealer to get an appointment set up. Hopefully Subaru doesn't try getting out of it... Anyway, have others had this problem at under 60,00 mi? Seems a little early. Also, is there anything else I should try getting them to replace while they have things torn apart?

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Some of the new engines had a oil leak issue with the timing cover and valve covers. Some of the fix was as simple as adding a bolt, others are replacing the sealant.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, that's reassuring. I guess I'll find out on Wednesday exactly how they want to fix it.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I dropped my car off at the dealer on Wednesday without much success. They noticed residual oil on the driver side valve cover but said it appeared to be oil spillage from an oil change in December(which they did). Basically, they cleaned it all up and kept the car overnight to put a few miles on it to see if any new oil appeared. They didn't see anything. I did find out some interesting news though. They pulled up the factory warranty work done on the car in the past and it looks like valve gaskets and a few other things were replaced at 21,000 mi. Wish I would've known that when I purchased the car... Anyway, I'm at 57,000 mi now and if there is a bigger issue I need to figure it out before the power train warranty expires. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and take it right back if the oil leak comes back. Does anyone know of a good Subaru specialty shop in the Baltimore area?

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I just wanted to let you all know that I was able to get my valve cover gasket replaced under warranty. I stayed on top of the dealer and took pictures as proof so that they couldn't deny it. That would be my advice to anyone that comes across a similar issue. I've attached a couple pictures. The first was a day after I picked my car up from the dealer after they claimed there was no leak. The second was about a month later, right after getting off the highway. image.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping to get your thoughts and opinions on a problem that we are having with our relatively new Forester. It's a 2012 2.5x premium with 57,000 mi. About a month ago I started noticing an intermittent oil smell. It's been to cold for me to take a look at it so I ended up taking it to the Mazda dealer we purchased it from (had a trade and they gave us the best deal), since it was still under there dealer warranty. Within an hour they let me know that there appears to be oil leaking from the valve cover. They said it is still under the factory warranty and called the Subaru dealer they were affiliated with to get me set up for a repair this coming Wednesday. I was pretty happy that they found the problem immediately and worked with the Subaru dealer to get an appointment set up. Hopefully Subaru doesn't try getting out of it... Anyway, have others had this problem at under 60,00 mi? Seems a little early. Also, is there anything else I should try getting them to replace while they have things torn apart?
Had the EXACT same problem on my 2011 at 4,000 miles! It was a bad machine spot on the gasket surface of the head. A gasket or new valve cover will not fix the leak.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Had the EXACT same problem on my 2011 at 4,000 miles! It was a bad machine spot on the gasket surface of the head. A gasket or new valve cover will not fix the leak.
So is yours still leaking? Did they have to machine the head flat? (The valve cover side.)

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, those pictures were from my first attempt to get it fixed about a month ago. Those are the same pictures I sent to the dealer to ultimately get the gasket replaced yesterday, which they claim was the problem. I'll still keep a close eye on it but hoping they are right. Everything looks good for now. So others have had to get the block surface machined?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
So others have had to get the block surface machined?
The block wouldn't apply in a valve cover gasket issue - that would be a head gasket issue.

I was asking winmag if they had had to have the rocker side of the head machined or worked because they had indicated the fault was there i.e. a an uneven surface that the valve cover gasket wouldn't seal properly.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Premium auto
174 Posts
Mine was fixed about half a year ago and its leaking again. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5 auto
6 Posts
I just bought a used 2011 with 37,XXX miles. I took the car in because of a burning smell and occasional wisps of smoke. They found a timing chain cover gasket leak and a valve cover gasket leak. Both are covered under warranty fortunately. I'll bump one of Derster's original questions; anything else they should look at while it's apart?

·
Registered
2012 Impreza
20 Posts
Yea, all of the new 2.0 12 and 13 models have this issue. I have a '10 Forester which had the issue and was repaired due to being covered under warranty and now my 2012 Impreza is having the same issue. I don't know if it's the timing chain cover or the valve cover. I have to take it in - so they can replace it, considering the car is still under warranty.

<------------------ There's my beauty but it's a very common issue, unfortunately man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts