Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has information on how big and maximum weight of a camper a 2012 Forester with 2.5 , manual shift will safely pull

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
971 Posts
Hi Well... as you're new here, you may want to use the "SEARCH COMMUNITY" function (up there in the header) to search for one of many discussion threads on this topic. While they may not all be specific to your particular Forester, it will give you a general idea.

Also, if you have your owner's manual, you can read there, too.

One other thing - the US based towing rates may well be different from the towing rates in other countries due to equipment or variances for other regions.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,696 Posts
@Wellshep
Welcome to the forum. The moderators will likely suggest you add your model info in your profile.

You can look it up because it varies by model somewhat, by equipment somewhat and mostly by country for primarily legal reasons, but also because there are some equipment differences.
In general, a USA Forester is rated at 1500 lbs tow weight.
Safely pulling is an interesting term...
You can safely pull a weight heavier than the car across a parking lot.
Taking that same load out on the interstate and you might get there safely, but maybe not.
Does the trailer have brakes? The tow rating is different for a braked vs non-braked trailer.
Take a look in your owners manual, and it will give you the factory determination of what is safe.
Just because someone pulled a load that weighed xxxx pounds doesn't mean it was safe or advisable.
Keep in mind that if you wreck in a seriously overloaded vehicle, that could be considered dangerous or reckless driving, and insurance would be within their rights to deny your claim in an accident, if for instance, your way too heavy trailer, that John Smith said was safe, prevented you from stopping and you kill somebody.
There are lots of threads already on this topic - Do a search and you can read for hours.

Edit - Looks like Fozzie beat me by a millisecond...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Well... as you're new here, you may want to use the "SEARCH COMMUNITY" function (up there in the header) to search for one of many discussion threads on this topic. While they may not all be specific to your particular Forester, it will give you a general idea.

Also, if you have your owner's manual, you can read there, too.

One other thing - the US based towing rates may well be different from the towing rates in other countries due to equipment or variances for other regions.
Thanks. I saw the search button after I posted tis. I appreciate the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts