Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So, the issues are that my '12 Forester with 13,000 miles on it has a hard start in the morning. Often this means cracking the engine for 4 to 5 seconds until it finally "catches" and starts. Other times, it will take 3 tries to start. Once started, the engine feels very rough and even misfires (though, not every time).
This started around 12,000 miles and almost left us stuck on Thanksgiving night.

The other, possibly related item, I know am barely able to get above 23 MPG. With the variety of driving that we do, the forester used to maintain and average of 24.5 around town, and 27 on the highway. These are real calculations, not from the OBC.

At first, I suspected bad gas, or water in the tank. As this car drives a very short distance each day, and often on weekends, I figured this was possible. I have been driving the car for the past 1,200 miles, and run lots of top tier gas through the tank, which no change.

I've brought the car into the dealer, and they are unable find anything. There are no codes stored on the computer, nor was the car having any issues (of course it was warm when I brought it to them). I'm leaving the car overnight tonight (if they can find a loaner car, presently there is nothing available) in hopes they can find something.

My hunch, the car needs a new camsaft position sensor. I ask about this at the service desk, and he didn't seem really care about my opinion...

Thoughts? I'm open to any ideas. Otherwise, I'm about 2 more service department visits away from dumping the car for a '14 Forester or Outback.

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
893 Posts
The thing that came to my mind was battery condition and/or cable condition. If battery cables are loose, the ecu could be frequently resetting and having to relearn at the expense of mileage and not starting as well.

But this would be one possible thought of many.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To follow up on this and keep a record to help others- SOA has found the following with my '12 Forester

"Certain 2011 to 2013 MY vehicles require an update to the engine control module software. ECM Reprogramming required"
This was per TSB #11-133-13 which I am unable to find online. My adviser explained that it relates to extended crank/hard starting only.

The car was outside all night in 17* weather in crusted in ice, and started great this morning. Took about 1 second as opposed to the 5 to 6 seconds of cranking beforehand.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this mean you will keep the car?
If everything remains "fixed" then yes! I really enjoy this car. It has just had several issues that I feel as though I shouldn't be having. Hopefully all of that is behind us.

Though, after about 120 miles of highway driving, I'm still only getting 22 MPG vs the 27 MPG I was getting... Maybe it is just the winter fuel blend.

Anyway- why do you ask? Interested?

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regards to the fuel mileage, have you changed your air filter recently?
Nope. But it looks relatively clean. That is a good thought. Things I normally do on my BMW I tend to neglect on this car.
This is a car that does two things. Take my daughter to daycare 2 miles down the road. Drives to my parents probably once a month @ 200 miles round trip. Otherwise, lives a nice comfy life in the garage. All the DDing duties fall on my 1999 540i.

I also checked tire pressure and found all of my tires to be less than 25psi. Checked that because the idiot light came on.

What's the thoughts on spark plugs? Generally I believe they should last at least 50k miles.

I should mention this is my first boxer engine/Subaru.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
~4 miles a day isn't letting the engine get up to normal operating termperatures. That's not helpful for mileage. Nor are soft tires.

I'd suggest trying an Italian tuneup to see what happens. That should help and can't hurt, might burn any deposits off the plugs.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
the idiot light came on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes, this is your bad MPG... tires with less than 25 pounds....recommend 36/35 pounds.

Also, if you think it's misfiring, you will have a code stored on your computer with dash CEL on. So check the code.

You don't need new spark plugs.

But maybe check the oil to make sure you have some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts