Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Perm 5MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the fogs on my 97 OB where worthless, but the ones on my 12 Forester are more so. I got to use them this weekend at night when we had a good fog with all the snow melting, they just kind of light up in front of the bumper, thats it. I'm glad the PO shelled out the cash and not me, they do look good though.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
<snipped> they just kind of light up in front of the bumper, <snipped>
That is the point.

Fog lamps are made to light up right in front of your car so you can see the lane marking lines. If it is foggy enough that you need the fog lights to see, you should be going very very very slow.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

That's the key point: fog lamps are meant to be used in heavy fog, rain, or snow to help the driver see the edges of the road close to the car so s/he can safely make progress through foul weather at very low speeds.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
On my '09 I barely see then light up any road when I turn the fogs on. That makes them literally useless for fog use. I have the feeling they are not adjusted at all, since the dealer changed them when I bought the car.

When I get the chance I want to try and aim them a bit higher.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,708 Posts
Foglights are Foglights.

Headlights are Headlights.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
They're about as useful as an underglow neon positioned under the front bumper, à la Fast'n'Furious...

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
On 2014 (older models are probably similar) fog lamps are at about 15" height. When properly adjusted beam drops 1.5" every 10'. So theoretically they should light up 100feet/30m in front of the car - if the bulb is strong enough.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Perm 5MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know thats where they illuminate but they should light beyond 3 feet and they should be yellow for more contrast like Hellas in the past.

·
Registered
800 Posts
This is what confuses me about the so called 'Fog lights'.

I always thought Fog lights were supposed to be Yellow because Yellow is the most penetrating light. What we have on our Subarus and most other cars seem more to be 'puddle' lights that light up the immediate vicinity for off roading / wet roads etc.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
At 19W per bulb, they are exercises in styling with about as much utility as the chrome bezels that surround them. I still prefer them over the plastic covers though.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,004 Posts
Be sure NOT to confuse fog lights with driving lights.

I installed a Marchal (not sure if they're still in business) fog and driving lamp on my 1977 Honda Accord, the foglite being below the bumper on the right side of the car (to pick out the side of the road) and the driving light on the opposite side.......for long distance lighting.

Accurately aimed, I was able to see so far down the roads in upstate NY that it spoiled me for driving with the driving lamp off.

Steve

·
Registered
2012 Forester Perm 5MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a pair of Hella driving lights on my car in the late 70's it was amazing how they light up a road. I had them wired into the hi beams you could never flash them or you would blind the oncoming driver.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
At 19W per bulb, they are exercises in styling with about as much utility as the chrome bezels that surround them. I still prefer them over the plastic covers though.
Interesting ...

My '10 takes 55W 9006/HB4 lamps according to the manual.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
181 Posts
Yeah I like the look too, but am not paying $400 for the upgrade...If they where some serious extra light for use in the woods, then I would be interested.

A Question...what are those cool looking side strip of lights I have seen on some other pictures inside the front side molding, wish I had that

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
what are those cool looking side strip of lights I have seen on some other pictures inside the front side molding, wish I had that

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
I have had good lights decades ago....When there is heavy fog..nothing works.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,613 Posts
I thought the fogs on my 97 OB where worthless, but the ones on my 12 Forester are more so. I got to use them this weekend at night when we had a good fog with all the snow melting, they just kind of light up in front of the bumper, thats it. I'm glad the PO shelled out the cash and not me, they do look good though.
yup

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,613 Posts
I have had good lights decades ago....When there is heavy fog..nothing works.
I agree, but in nite rain, good "driving lights" make a big difference. especially on some cars. we were given a 2003 chevy impala for our kids a few months ago. that thing has a huge dead zone that would benefit GREATLY from auxiliary lighting (whether you call it fog or driving lights)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts