Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Diesel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed to do this for myself but couldn't find much info - thought I might post it up and help others out!

Do you have a Euro V EE20?
Do you want to know how healthy your DPF is?
Do you want to track your EGTs so when you're towing/offroading you know when to give the car a rest?
Are you about to embark on a 20,000km lap of Australia and you want to know if it's a good idea to replace the DPF before you head off?

Read on!

Stuff you need:

- a Subaru with an EE20, I know this works with a Euro V spec engine, dunno about the others
- ?an Android phone (maybe it works with iPhones too who knows)
- ?a Bluetooth or wifi OBD2 adapter
- ?Torque Pro app (~$5)

Mad props to whoever is behind the Subaru Diesel Crew blog for finding these codes. See https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/generic/protocols/extended-obd-ii/ for the full list of codes they've uncovered.

Instructions:

So when you open up Torque and go to realtime monitoring there will be a bunch of stuff available. Unfortunately the stuff we're interested in are custom PIDs that we have to set up.

Go to the home screen (picture 2) and click the gear in the lower left. Go to Settings -> Manage extra PIDs/sensors.
Click the 3 dots in the upper right and go to add custom PID. You should see a screen like picture 3.

Find what value you want from the list below and enter in values as I've listed. Once you've added a few your screen should look like picture 4.

Then just go to real time monitoring and add gauges as you see fit! We all have different size phone screens and preferences for what we track so that's all up to you.

Codes and calculations:

EGT at catalyst inlet
- PID 22003c, unit °C, Max 800, Min 0, equation ((A*256)+B)/10-40
- ?This is the one I look at for avoiding engine damage. 200-400 is normal. 600 is normal in the first minute or so of a regen cycle. 800 is definitely bad and you should park for a bit.

EGT at DPF inlet
- PID 22003c, unit °C, Max 800, Min 0, equation ((A*256)+B)/10-40
- ?Not really that useful, I think the ECU uses this to estimate DPF temperature? No idea. But after your first regen for an engine cycle this will go high and stay high. I'm not sure if this is actually at the inlet or the outlet.

DPF Regen cycle on
- PID 22125b
- ?If you set this up as an on/off it tell you when the DPF is regenerating. Important to know because at the start of the regen cycle the EGT @ the cat will go high and you shouldn't be concerned if this light is also on.

DPF temperature (estimated)
- PID 22114c, unit °C, Max 800, Min 0, equation A*5-40
- ?Not that useful but fun to know!

Soot accumulation ratio
- PID 22114d, unit %, Max 100, Min 0, equation A
- ?How much soot is currently in the DPF awaiting regen, seems to trigger ~ 65%

Cumulative ash ratio
- PID 221149, unit %, Max 100, Min 0, equation A
- ?I think this is calculated from the exhaust pressure before and after DPF, you can think of this like the lifespan of your DPF unit. Mine is worked hard and is at 72% at 165k KMs. The more ash, the less available soot capacity, the more frequent the regens, the worse the economy and power.

Distance since last regen
- PID 221156, unit km, equation A*256+B
- ?Mine seems to be every 25-30km, yours will depend on your cumulative ash ratio, the climate you live in, and the engine oil you use.

Distance to oil change
- PID 221155, unit km, Max 2000, Min 0, equation A*100
- ?This is calculated from oil dilution which itself is estimated. I use this to remind me to do the park light/defogger dance (see your manual) when I change the oil.

DPF Regen Count
- PID 221157, equation A*256+B
- ?How many times your DPF has done a full regen

DPF Regen Attempt Count
- PID 2211a1, equation A*256+B
- ?How many times your DPF has done at least 50% of a regen (including full regens)

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Diesel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry if this has already been posted. Couldn't find any DIYs about viewing EGTs on the EE20.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.0D 6MT
23 Posts
Thanks for this. I have an OBDLink LX Bluetooth, and I've been trying to find out how to monitor the DPF. I'm entering the custom PIDs now.

Just one question. The first 2 PIDs you've listed (EGT at DPF inlet, EGT at catalyst inlet) have the same number (22003c). Shouldn't the PID numbers be unique?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,599 Posts
@notnothing I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

@OzFozDave hasn't signed onto the forum since his post above, January 22, 2018. He does have PM e-mail notification, so you might send him a PM - private message. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2011 Forester Diesel
15 Posts
This is great, thank you OP.

What PID and calculation (if any) are people using for Oil Dilution Ratios? I clicked through on SDC's link but wasn't able to make a lot of sense of the info there...

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
797 Posts
Hi,

Oil Dilution Parameter (accurate to 1%) is probably what you want.
PID 22 11 4E
No formula, reads back in %
*Rely on this one*

Oil dilution warning light should trigger at 10% (I think it's a flash) at least on older models. Oil dilution increases quickly during regen, decreases slowly out of regen and never seemingly enough to offset the increase during regen.

A more accurate oil dilution reading (0.1%) is apparently
PID 22 11 55
With formula 10-A/15 [%]

as this parameter is actually related to 'time to next oil change'. Now this 2nd parameter seems OK with older vehicles (EURO5) because the relationship between oil dilution and estimated time to next oil change is linear (and it's a linear equation we're using). However for the newer EURO6, this relationship is no longer linear and so this calculation no longer applies. *You may not be able to rely on this one.*

More info in the Diesel (EE20) forum too.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
797 Posts
Harrumph! ;) No I didn't make a copy of all the codes and I'm most annoyed. That was a very good site and thanks very much to subdiesel who did the work/ran it for so long. Sorry it's gone.

There is another site with the codes but you have to dig them out of the CSV file- see below. In case you don't know, a CSV file is a "comma-space-delimited" file where the columns are separated by commas (generally). It can usually be read into a text editor or Microsoft Excel (or another spreadsheet program). It seems to be a leftover from subdiesel when he wrote a program to parse the PIDs (hence the name). Code's there if you wish to look/compile.

Have a look on Github at ParsePID. The file you need is in the data subdirectory and called "Subaru_mode22_def.csv"
How to save and view the file:
- open this "file" (it displays as a webpage) in your browser (I used Firefox) then click the "Raw" button. This will display a more "basic" tab-delimited version.
- save the file from the file menu to an appropriate location.
- Open Excel (I used Excel from Office Professional 2016)
- Open a new worksheet/workbook
- Select Data -> Get External Data -> From text
- Navigate to and select the file you just saved and click "Import"
- Choose "Delimted" and click "Next"
- Choose "Tab" and click next (it should format nicely at the bottom of the window)
- All column types should be "General" and click "Finish"
- If it asks you where to put the data, select cell A1 (type "=A1") or you can simply select a new worksheet.

Sorry for the late reply, only just saw this post- I watch the diesel forum.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.0 diesel manual 6 speed
80 Posts
Thanks guys, managed to download it, all is good :) You're the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts