Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friendly motorcyclist told me my driver-side brake light was out on my '12 Forester X Limited. I confirmed that it was just the drivers-side brake light (tail, turn, etc. all worked fine). I picked up a new bulb and swapped. No luck. I poked around in the bulb socket with a continuity tester and it seemed to work. I swapped bulbs a few more times and got it to work.

A few weeks later I was again informed that my brake light was out. I haven't taken a look yet but I think it's safe to assume the same general problem.

Any ideas where the problem is likely to be? Loose or corroded contacts in the bulb socket? Break in the wire harness? Loose/bad wire harness connection?

Any good ways to test?

Is there an interesting alternative solution (like an LED conversion that would replace the wire harness too)?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,506 Posts
Since it works after the bulb change, and then doesn't - like before, it seems likely it is a connection issue.
Intermittent automotive electrical failures can be a royal pain to find.
As to why... It could be any of the reasons you cited, but the fact that you got the bulb to work while playing with the socket, makes that sound like it is a good candidate for being faulty.
It could also be a bad connection to the socket itself or a corroded contact.
Can you make it fail? Have someone press on the brake while you see what may be loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts