Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should a Subaru DPF last with average Town driving 15-20min (not lots of long distance stuff)? I am having slight problems at 160000km. Should I replace the DFP, clean it, or sell my beloved Forester. 2012 2.0 turbo D?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
187 Posts
Hi,
what problems are you having?
160k km is quite reasonable for DPF problems, especially if you mainly do short trips.

You should try to save it. Also check boost pipes for leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DPF light coming on to often. Recently did a 2hr drive and light stayed on. Dealer played with their computer, charged me $170. Told me nothing. But the DPF light is now off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
DPF light coming on to often. Recently did a 2hr drive and light stayed on. Dealer played with their computer, charged me $170. Told me nothing. But the DPF light is now off.
Without knowing any parameters of the dpf I can't tell you much.
Your oil could be diluted and dealer did a reset (im not sure if in this case dpf light is steady on or blinking)
Maybe dealer did forced regen and that lowered your soot level and thats why your light is now off.
Some deeper diagnosis is needed to know what is happening. If you are not interested to dive deeper in your cars diagnosis, then you'll have to depend on dealer playing with their computer untill they tell you your dpf is due for replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer said light was on because of dilution. No REGEN. Not happy paying dealer $180 every few months to play with computer and tell me very little. But I will keep reading and asking diff people what they think as I am not willing to sell yet. Nothing in owners manual? I am not mechanic and do not know at this stage how to go into a deeper diagnosis, but I will keep trying. I had a great Peugeot, DPF died and it unfortunately went to the wreckers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Each time ECU does a regen, some fuel gets in engine oil and ECU calculates oil dilution.
Dilution slowly comes down while driving as fuel evaporates from oil, but if it regens too often, dilution keeps rising untill it triggers DPF light. in that case its not a bad idea to change the engine oil.
Oil dilution rate also depends on regen conditions. On light engine load (city driving) more fuel is needed to rise DPF temp for regen to happen, if you are driving highway speeds, less fuel is needed and less dilution happens.
Oil dilution (and other useful parameters) can be read with OBD reader and Torque app, do a search, it has been covered multiple times here.
Also oil dilution can be reset from inside of the car without any special tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts