Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forrester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are issues with this, and of course I want to avoid having my shortblock changed. I have a 2012 Forrester sport. got it 2.5 years ago with 109k on it it has been a dream . Until I heard a clicking noise that wasn't coming from the wheels ruh ou, . Got home and checked the oil , there was none! Freaked called a friend to bring me some oil so I could get it to the mechanic. Put 3 quarts in and drove it 15 miles to garage. He checked the oil it was still reading empty. We filled it up entirely. I told him where I got my last oil chnge and he said he had heard of problems there . Long story kind of short . I had them do a full oil change with 0w 20. Sinvce then I have been checking the oil every 500 it seems to be burning a quart every 1200 miles or so but it does depend on how and when I check the oil. Is there a best time to check the oil in this boxer engine. Been told the oils pulls to the side when its being driven and yu have to wait 20 minutes to cool down to get a real reading . I seem to get a normal reading when I start the car for a minute then turn it off, after it has been sitting overnight. If I read before I turn the engine over it readsl low , once I turn the engine over I get a normal reading?? So I guess two questions when is the besrt time to check oil and with 140 k on the car, should I bother with engine block replace or just keep monitoring and adding oil when needed. Everythingelse so far is good. BTW an oil light never came on when i was empty or almost empty.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,334 Posts
The way I check the oil in my 2010 and 2018 Foresters is as follows. Upon shutting down hot engine I pull and wipe the dipstick and set it aside. I wait five minutes, insert the dipstick and read the dipstick on both sides. I consider the lower of the two readings on the dipstick to be the correct one. The above procedure is similar to what the owners manual says except for removing the dipstick beforehand.

·
Registered
2005 Forrester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I check the oil in my 2010 and 2018 Foresters is as follows. Upon shutting down hot engine I pull and wipe the dipstick and set it aside. I wait five minutes, insert the dipstick and read the dipstick on both sides. I consider the lower of the two readings on the dipstick to be the correct one. The above procedure is similar to what the owners manual says except for removing the dipstick beforehand.
Thanks will try that today and compare it to my method !

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,926 Posts
@Tparis52 -
When you pull the dipstick out, on one side there will be a line all the way across, which is the oil level.
On the other it doesn't, and usually there is a longer streak above the line on that side.
That is the side that doesn't count.
You can either check it when it has been sitting for awhile so the oil can drain back into the pan or check it in the morning when all of it has... It really isn't critical, and you get a good check of the oil level either way.

You could have a bad oil pressure switch, and with the oil that low without it coming on, it sounds like it could be.
It is easy to replace and only cost about 10 bucks aftermarket..
Does your oil warning light come on when you turn on the key before you start it?
If not, maybe a bad bulb.

·
Registered
2005 Forrester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Tparis52 -
When you pull the dipstick out, on one side there will be a line all the way across, which is the oil level.
On the other it doesn't, and usually there is a longer streak above the line on that side.
That is the side that doesn't count.
You can either check it when it has been sitting for awhile so the oil can drain back into the pan or check it in the morning when all of it has... It really isn't critical, and you get a good check of the oil level either way.

You could have a bad oil pressure switch, and with the oil that low without it coming on, it sounds like it could be.
It is easy to replace and only cost about 10 bucks aftermarket..
Does your oil warning light come on when you turn on the key before you start it?
If not, maybe a bad bulb.

·
Registered
2005 Forrester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the oil warning light does come on in accessory position but it doesn't come on to warn me of low oil , apparently not all subarus have this warning light??

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,926 Posts
@Tparis52 -
So your dash oil pressure light is okay - Good..
Most likely the place that "changed" your oil just drained it but didn't fill it.

It happens more often than most people think.
You may want to "thank" them....

You are right that not every car has a "low oil level" warning light, but every car with an internal combustion engine made since the 40's and 50's has a low oil pressure warning light.
If you had no oil in the car, this would have resulted in low oil pressure, and the oil pressure warning light should have been illuminated.
It is therefore likely that your oil pressure switch is not functioning properly.
Especially since your car is using oil, this warning is important.
I also have a MY 2012 and my oil pressure switch needed replacement.
There was a design change to the original OEM part due to failures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts