Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X Limited 4EAT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to do a 1" lift with upgraded springs and have no idea what kit to go with or if one is better than the other.

I'm planning to install stiffer standard height springs to get rid of the saggy butt and put some gear in the back for camping with the possibility of doing some light towing. Rallitek seems to be the best bet in terms of springs. Is it beneficial to do front and rear upgraded springs or just do the rear?

As for 1" lift, there are many options. Subtle Solutions and Primitive Racing offer 1" subframe spacers with their kits, the other brands don't. Subtle Solutions also offers an aluminum kit as well as HDPE. Regardless, I need to do something to center the wheel in the rear as it is already extremely far forward running 215/70/R16 Falken Wildpeak AT Trails at stock ride height.

I know that I could just go with a bigger lift to compensate for the saggy rear end, but i'd prefer get stiffer springs in the rear at least. Not to mention that a 1" kit with springs is roughly the same price as a 1.5" or 2" kit without springs.

Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
G'day & Welcome @bushwickbill

Primitive have a good reputation. King Springs are good and although they do not do a raised spring for your model the spring rating may be stiffer than OEM
I'm not looking for raised springs. Primitive's kit comes with King Springs and subframe spacers. That might be the way to go.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
211 Posts
I'd go with the ADF 1" lift. Easy to install strut spacers and made from poly so it won't rust. You shouldn't need to re center your wheel with a 1". If you want to be safe you could go with the ADF 1.5" which come with multi link spacers to re center the wheels.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
162 Posts
I installed the Rallitek Front +0.25" Sport Springs and Rear +0.5" Overload Springs with KYB Excel-G struts, both with 0.5" HDPE spacers, just over a month ago on my 2011. Rallitek says they are 18-20% stiffer than OEM springs, but compared to my 170k mile OEM springs, they felt 75-100% stiffer. When I got an alignment after I installed them the mechanic even made a comment about how jarring and stiff the ride was. With just the driver in the car and no passengers/cargo, they are extremely stiff to the point of feeling pretty sketchy on the highway when there are frost heaves, dips, etc. It feels like the car is completely lifting off the pavement instead of compressing to absorb the hazard at all. I'm pretty concerned about bumps on twisty canyon roads sending me flying off the road this winter. I think a far better choice for me would have been OEM SJ struts/springs instead.

I will say that the car feels significantly better with approx 200 pounds of camping gear in the trunk area. It doesn't sag at all and the stiffness of the springs is tamed quite a bit. I would only recommend the Ralliteks if you're regularly loading up the back with a lot of weight or people.

I haven't taken them offroad yet other than a super smooth dirt/sand road, so I can't comment on how they handle washboards, rocky trails, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning on keeping my stock struts. I know the KYB's are 10-20% stiffer than stock.

·
Registered
2010 Forester x limited Manuel
109 Posts
1” ADF lift. Go more than an inch and you may open a box of fun you wished you never had. Ask me how I know....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts