Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it's almost time for tire replacement on my forester. I've done a ton of research on tire sizes. I have an ADF 2inch lift on stock struts. Currently running a 17x8+48 wheel. Currently on bf Goodrich pro comp tires 225/55/17. I want to run a nice aggressive looking AT tire. I've had my eyes on the ko2s, open country at2s, and the general grabbers. My question is what size is appropriate on average for my current set up? I'm noticing that a 225/65/17 is a popular size for the set up I went for. Any suggestions or personal experiences would be awesome. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
I went with Cooper at3 4s. The ride is good and they don't hurt the MPG. Love the ko2 but your pushing a lot of extra weight especially if you have the 2.5 na.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
158 Posts
There are literally only 3 A/T choices for 225/65/17 in Tirerack which sucks. KO2, Geolandar G015 and Scorpion AT Plus.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 225/65R17 Scorpion AT Plus looked pretty good to me and I almost made the purchase on a set. However, I went with the Discoverer AT3 4S in 215/65R17. It's so quiet. And the weight of my new setup is the same as the stock combo. Plus, in this size I can easily fit it in the stock location for the spare.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any pics? I'm interested in running a 215 of it helps with overall height of set up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with Cooper at3 4s. The ride is good and they don't hurt the MPG. Love the ko2 but your pushing a lot of extra weight especially if you have the 2.5 na.
That's true. Not sure if I want to sacrifice the weight gain, etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm interested in running a 215 of it helps with overall height of set up.
The 215/65R17 makes for a 28" diameter which is just about 3/8" (9.5mm) taller than the stock 225/60R17. The 10mm reduction in width is a small change. I went down 30mm on my last rig and forum people reacted with fear that I was certainly going to die. That was 2 years ago with many thousands of miles and 2 Moab trips. In my opinion, it's totally safe to go narrower and it's my preference for all conditions I find myself in, including snow.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
I ran some 235/55/17s in the snow with no issues so going to the235/60/17 in the Coopers was not much difference other than the dia. is slightly over 28" but the weight is only slightly more than stock.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
46 Posts
@coregrind and @Poconosteve,
I’m looking at getting the Cooper Discovery AT3 4S for my next set of tires. What are your overall impressions with them? And what is the noise level and MPG hit if any?

·
Registered
2010 Forester x limited Manuel
46 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Funny you should ask that question. Until last weekend I was quite pleased with every aspect of the Coopers. First off they’re light. Way lighter than a KO2. 17lbs? I’m a non-turbo and a 5 speed so she is a gutless pig. Rolling mass means a lot to me. Gas mileage isn’t bad. I average 22.8 with all the poop on my roof. No road noise. Good wet road tire. No problems in the rain. Great in the snow. Actually snow rated. Price is right. What’s not to love right? So I’m sure it was a bad line and more my fault than the tire but I did take out a sidewall in the white letters. At first I was ”ah poop should have done KO2” then I saw a friend of mine with a banana sized hole in the sidewall of his $215 KO2. Lol I didn’t feel so bad after that. Of course my set up is tough in technical rock. I was blessed with 4.10 final gearing with the 5 speed so its kinda like flying a Cessna through the woods. I have to run sections like that with a lot of momentum and a lot of clutch. Kinda pick the line and send it.
Bottom line. I have 20,000 miles on these. They’re wearing like iron and I’ll replace the bad one with another fresh one. If and when it’s time to replace them, i don’t know. Look at the Grabbers. The Faulkens? If you spend more time on road and don’t push your rig to hard the Coopers are awesome. I’m not sure there’s a perfect tire that can take Appalachian rock. LOL

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
46 Posts
@Poconosteve thanks for the info! Great to hear they’re lasting and wearing well. I think they will fit the bill for what I’m looking for and my driving profile. I’m 70% highways and roads 30% off-road on logging and forest service roads with some class 4 roads (un-maintained and in severe dis-repair dirt roads) thrown into the mix. Ive looked at the falkens and the continentals too. But based on reviews and testing data that I’ve found the discoverers take the win in most categories. I also agree with you on the fact that there is no tire that can survive the Appalachian rocks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts