Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forester X AT with Type A (manual control) climate control knobs (pretty much a no-frills model).

I'm not a mechanic (but a retired engineer) and this puzzles me. After a year of flawless operation, the fan abruptly stopped running at all on speeds 1,2,or 3. Speed 4 is fine and full blast! The heat, AC, and inside/outside air seem to be normal at speed 4. (Actually, the AC red pilot still turns on/off for speeds 1/2/3.)

This thread in 2011[post 2] had a service diagram for 2003 models. Is that still valid for 2012 models?
https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/blower-motor-melts-wires-off.95818/#post-1043553

Not much in the 2012 owner's manual on wiring or fuses. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That is a great help.

Is the "resistor module" AC-01730 a replaceable part? Are those spade connectors (and their four color-coded wires) shown in the diagram above? Why is it labeled 'B27' there (excuse the novice here)?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,326 Posts
@mygfscar B27 is the connector, look on the bottom of the wiring diagram.

This thread might also be helpful to you.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good link for the procedure. Thanks.

Still, I'll admit a little confusion. B27 has the resistor symbols. Isn't this where the bad resistor might be?

[Or, I suppose, possibly a bad wire coming off connector 4 - the BOr wire?]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,326 Posts
@mygfscar B27 is the connector that plugs into the resistor unit. It's shown that way on the wiring diagram as the lead wires are easier to draw on the schematic.

Bobby...

► Disclaimer - always verify any information you read on the internet, especially if you're going to spend money on parts!

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
666 Posts
Good link for the procedure. Thanks.

Still, I'll admit a little confusion. B27 has the resistor symbols. Isn't this where the bad resistor might be?

[Or, I suppose, possibly a bad wire coming off connector 4 - the BOr wire?]
What @2.5x_sleeper is alluding to is that the entire module needs to be replaced.
Sure, internally one of those resistors may just be open but you can't get into it to replace it. If you follow the functionality of the switch, in position 4 it bridges that resistor pack. If you switch any other position it switches more resistance in series with the fan, causing it to turn slower.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it , I think. The connector is numbered, the resistor unit is named. They occupy almost the same spot on the diagram.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts