Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed lately (super hot in northern Virginia) that my AC blows lukewarm to cool-ish air. NOT icy cold like I think it should. Not even cold-cold.
So I took it in this morning for a checkup. They did the AC check/freon/dye to check for leaks (?)/whatever and it works much better now. Haven't had a chance to really test it out.
But they told me the compressor is going bad. Apparently it made noises and cut off and on while they were in there. Also said I need to replace the condenser when I replace the compressor and that parts and labor would run around $2,200 plus tax. They also said the compressor could "go" at any time. I really hope it lasts until autumn.
My questions are: Does this sound right to any of you? Does the cost sound reasonable?
I love my Forester and it's paid off, but this seems expensive to me.
Thanks for any insights!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts
Check if your MY has the ac clutch available as a part. You could try the clutch rehab trick.
check the air gap with a feeler gage. Remove shims to get the air gap to spec, if you can remove the ac clutch.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
365 Posts
Does the compressor "make noises"? I'd look for a second opinion on that. I can't see the need for a condenser unless you are looking to rehab your system. If and when it leaks, get a new one. Pinching pennies is a hobby of mine. :LOL:

·
Registered
2012 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check if your MY has the ac clutch available as a part. You could try the clutch rehab trick.
check the air gap with a feeler gage. Remove shims to get the air gap to spec, if you can remove the ac clutch.
Thanks, though checking the fuse was the extent of my mechanical knowledge. I'll run this by by "car guy" cousin.

·
Registered
2012 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the compressor "make noises"? I'd look for a second opinion on that. I can't see the need for a condenser unless you are looking to rehab your system. If and when it leaks, get a new one. Pinching pennies is a hobby of mine. :LOL:
The guy at the car shop said it was making noises and cutting off and on. I figure to get several estimates but not fix it until it absolutely breaks. Getting second opinion is a great idea at that price. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts