Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 forester Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Quite new to this forum...I have been searching high and low on DIY oil change for 2011 XT Turbo Auto Forester.

I cannot seem to find any instructions/DIY anywhere online etc.

I would like to do my own DIY instead of taking it to the dealers to get this done which will cost an arm and a leg to do...

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

cheerz

·
Registered
01 Forester 5 speed manual
32 Posts
Hi,

Quite new to this forum...I have been searching high and low on DIY oil change for 2011 XT Turbo Auto Forester.

I cannot seem to find any instructions/DIY anywhere online etc.

I would like to do my own DIY instead of taking it to the dealers to get this done which will cost an arm and a leg to do...

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

cheerz
no offense but if you are on the internet looking how to change oil on a subaru you should prob take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
no offense but if you are on the internet looking how to change oil on a subaru you should prob take it to the dealer.
I have to disagree with you there. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Jeff, have you changed the oil in any other car? If so, just do it the same way.

If not, then do your research a little more (look for any write up on how to change oil), but the basics are simple:

1. Warm up the car a bit (engine on for about 5 minutes). This lets the oil drain easier and quicker.
  2. Unscrew the drain plug (make sure you know which plug is the oil pan) and drain all the old oil into an oil container
  3. While it's draining, remove the oil filter and clean the filter holder with a lint free rag
  4. Put a new oil filter back on (run some oil around the gasket of the new filter first)
  5. When the oil is done draining, screw the oil plug back in (with a new crush washer)
  6. Fill your oil with the amount of oil specified in the owner's manual

Here's a good write-up:
How To Change Your Oil

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
200 Posts
Maybe have a friend who is familiar with doing an oil change give you a hand. It is very easy, but I have seen people mess it up more often then you would think. It is very empowering being able to do your own maintenance. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,011 Posts
DO NOT DRAIN THE OIL FROM THE PAN THAT IS FLAT ON THE BOTTOM..THAT IS THE TRANSMISSION PAN. aLSO THE FILTER RIGHT NET TO THAT PAN IS THE AUTO TRANS FILTER. DON'T CHANGE IT!!!!!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
I am pretty sure this info you seek, with pics, is in your 2011 Subaru Forester Owner's Manual.

EDIT: Look at page 11-10 onward.....RTOM.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
<snip>

[*]While it's draining, remove the oil filter and clean the filter holder with a lint free rag

[*]Put a new oil filter back on (run some oil around the gasket of the new filter first) ...
Great advice in Schmee's message. Here's a cool way to deal with that oil filter - the 'paper cup' method.

One way or another, you will need to loosen the oil filter. Sometimes, you can simply loosen it by hand. Other times, it is just a bit too tight, so you might need to use an oil filter wrench to loosen it. Regardless, just loosen it - don't get carried away.

Once the filter is loose enough that you can turn it by hand, find a large paper cup which will completely surround the filter, with some space to spare. Foam cups and plastic cups work okay, too. Place the cup around the filter and grip the filter through the walls of the cup. Then, unscrew the filter and cup together.

When the filter unscrews a bit more, oil will run down - maybe half a cup or so - right into your paper cup. As you continue to loosen it, more oil will drip down. Finally, the whole filter will fall off the threads - right into your cup. Lower the cup with filter to the ground right below your work area, to let any additional oil drain out - right into your cup.

After all oil stops draining from the filter area, clean up everything. Oil the sealing ring on the new filter and install it by hand - do not use a filter wrench. There are instructions printed on the filter. Basically, spin it on until the filter sealing ring makes contact - then tighten about 2/3 turn more. It's easy to do all of this by hand.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
^^^ I like that method!

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
^ me too - dang I wished I would have known this 40 years ago lol

·
Registered
2011 forester XT auto
4 Posts
I do my own, 2011 Forester Premium XT, I buy "oem", genuine Subaru oil filters, and use Mobile 1, full synthetic oil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts