Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited AT
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done my own tire rotations 3 times over the last 20k miles and my right passenger wheel always gives me issues.

First, when I remove the wheels, this hub always needs a few kicks or whacks with a sledge to break it free from the hub. No other hubs give me issues, but all wheels give me issues on this front passenger hub.

Also, when bolting the wheel on, this is the only hub that doesn't want to tighten in the normal cross-pattern tightening sequence. For example, I snug up all the lugs and make sure the wheel is flush with the hub. Then I torque the first lug to 75ftlb, then move to the lug across from it and tighten that lug to 75, then to the next lug across, and so on. Then, when I go back to check the first lug, it takes another 3 or 4 turns to get it to 75. Check the 2 and 3rd lug, and once again they also need a few turns to get to 75. I usually have to go through the sequence of tightening all 5 lugs at least 3 times before everything is in place. Again, this happens when mounting any of my wheels to the front passenger hub.

What could be causing this?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,538 Posts
You might want to take a brush to remove possible corrosion on the hub and the wheel. That may be why you are needing to hit with hammer. Also apply a bit if grease to the hub surface to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
724 Posts
In addition to cleaning, inspect the hub carefully. Perhaps a wheel was cocked during installation at some point and slightly damaged the hub. Also suggest you torque in steps, rather than all at once, at least for this hub. Initial 20 ft-lb all around to evenly snug the wheel down, then full torque.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
737 Posts
I've actually had a hub that had the incorrect diameter for the ring that the wheel centres on.
I ended up gently grinding a small amount off the ring. You need to be very careful that you do it evenly though.

Practically speaking, the ring shouldn't be the part that keeps the wheel in the right place, the wheel-nuts are responsible for that. That being said, if the ring is NOT perfectly in the middle, your studs/wheel nuts won't be able to properly center the wheel.

(After grinding it down a bit, I added a thin layer of grease. problem solved)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts