Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester FXT 5 Speed Manual
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, have a 600km old 2011 FXT and I have found on all occasions that the oil level on the dipstick after checking when the car is hot (after letting it sit for 1 min on flat surface) is running at about 1cm higher than the notch. This seems quite high, as if the car has been overfilled from the factory.

Is this done on purpose cause the car might burn oil in its early km's?

So far I havent seen it go down at all, over the first 600, so should I take it back to dealership and get them to drop some oil out of it?

What damage can overfilling do, or this amount of overfilling?

·
Registered
06 Forest XT Ltd
149 Posts
Hi there, have a 600km old 2011 FXT and I have found on all occasions that the oil level on the dipstick after checking when the car is hot (after letting it sit for 1 min on flat surface) is running at about 1cm higher than the notch. This seems quite high, as if the car has been overfilled from the factory.

Is this done on purpose cause the car might burn oil in its early km's?

So far I havent seen it go down at all, over the first 600, so should I take it back to dealership and get them to drop some oil out of it?

What damage can overfilling do, or this amount of overfilling?
I'm not an automotive expert by any means, but I think maybe the oil just hasn't finished dropping back down into the pan...one minute and hot. Having it checked wouldn't hurt if you're uncomfortable with it though....especially under warranty...couldn't hurt.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,733 Posts
As a rule of thumb, I always let the car sit for 5-10 minutes on a flat, level surface, then check the dipstick. (JUST in case you didn't know: Remember to remove the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert it all the way, then pull it back out to check).....there has been a few times where I've caught people checking their dipsticks by just pulling it out and looking, which will always give you an inaccurate measure (usually overfilled). Not saying that you don't know how to check the dipstick, but then again, maybe you didn't know. Just wanted to cover the bases. :biggrin:

I'd check it again when the car is cold (in the morning after having it sit overnight), again on a level surface, and see if it is still showing overfilled or if it's right at the "full" mark. Odds are it'll be perfect, but it's always worth checking. When the oil is hot, it does expand a bit, which is normal.

If it's still showing overfilled, I'd either drain a little, or take it to the dealer and have them do it. Either way, I don't think it's problematic, but like Woody said, I'm no automotive expert either.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,179 Posts
... oil level on the dipstick after checking when the car is hot (after letting it sit for 1 min on flat surface) is running at about 1cm higher than the notch. This seems quite high, as if the car has been overfilled from the factory.... should I take it back to dealership and get them to drop some oil out of it?... What damage can overfilling do, or this amount of overfilling?
Factory fills are pumped and measured, so an overfill is unlikely. And you may find after the next oil change that manually pouring in the specified amount gives the same dipstick reading.

Vehicles are designed with sumps that can take an accidental overfill of a quart without harm, as such mistakes happen frequently.

Damage from overfilling does not occur until the level of oil reaches the bottom of the spinning crankshaft webs, which would beat the oil. The air in the crankcase would become an oil mist, which would be blown out the crankcase vent system, and the oil would become aerated, which would not pump well. Even so, there would be no damage in moderate driving as enough oil would continue to be pumped and the excess would eventually be blown out over the engine. Most likely the driver would soon notice the smell and smoke of oil on the exhaust system, and raise the hood to find an oily mess.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
15,702 Posts
Check it in the morning with the vehicle level. Pull out the stick, wipe it thoroughly insert for 5 seconds. Pull out and read.

The reading will be accurate only 1 time bc oil is drug up on the measuring tube.

You are worrying here for nothing imho.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
I agree with most of the above.

Most of Subarus oil pans will accept about a 1qt extra with out harm under normal driving. Too full however the crank can churn the oil into a froth.

As others have said check in the morning on a cold engine. Some prefer to leave the dip stick out over night as every thing settles.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
91 Posts
Maybe someone checked the oil and added some because they thought the oil was low?

That’s what I did to my Forester. Check out this thread.

Overfilling can be a bad thing. gdawrx explanated what could happen.

I extracted the extra oil from my engine. I didn’t want to find out what could go wrong.

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
The oil I use (Castrol Edge in Aus) comes in 5.5 litre bottles so I'm tempted to add a bit more rather than waste it. I don't imagine you could keep the leftover oil till it makes up enough for a change - like years.
Why do they do this? Doesn't cost more. Can't imagine any car uses 5.5 litres a fill...

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
This continues to be a mystery amoung Forester owners for some reason :icon_rolleyes:

1) find out the correct oil amount your engine takes. It is 5 US quarts for XT.
2) drain existing oil, replace oil filter, put in correct amount.
3) start the car up, check oil level, drive it, check oil level, etc. Get used to what the dipstick reads. Mine reads perfectly clear when I check my oil while putting gas in the car, every time. If reads a bit low, I put a bit more oil in. If it reads too "high", I leave it alone.

If the dipstick reads too high, so what? You have the right amount of oil in there, you just put in 5 quarts. I would not pump oil out of an engine, if you think there is too much oil in there from the factory then drain it all and refill with correct amount.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Why would it take years to use this amount?

But..yes the oil could be saved years.
Well, I get about 3/4 litre left over in the can after an oilchange. It would take years to get enough leftover oil to have enough to use as an oilchange (4litres) I would not want to use oil from an opened can that was that old. :shake:probably would have absorbed moisture by then....

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
It would take years to get enough leftover oil to have enough to use as an oilchange (4litres)
4 liters = 4.22675284 US quarts, unless Australian XTs are different than US XTs you are underfilling by almost a quart.

Can't imagine any car uses 5.5 litres a fill...
My '94 Lexus LS400 uses 5.3 liters (5.6 US quarts).

Stan

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Well ok, 5 quarts = 4.73 of our litres , so I actually get .77 l. left over and wasted.:shake:
How does that sound?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
The oil I use (Castrol Edge in Aus) comes in 5.5 litre bottles so I'm tempted to add a bit more rather than waste it. I don't imagine you could keep the leftover oil till it makes up enough for a change - like years.
Why do they do this? Doesn't cost more. Can't imagine any car uses 5.5 litres a fill...
Most of the oil containers seem to hold 5L which suits the Foz as it takes 4.7L.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
15,702 Posts
Well, I get about 1 1/2 litre left over in the can after an oilchange. It would take years to get enough leftover oil to have enough to use as an oilchange (4litres) I would not want to use oil from an opened can that was that old. :shake:probably would have absorbed moisture by then....
Just use it with your next change. Any moisture absorbed will be burned off when the engine heats up tooperating. Its seriously not a problem. Brake fluid..another story. Moisture there doesn't get burned off.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
Agreed. Oil can be stored for years without any problem at all. If I have any left over, which I always do, I keep it in the car to top off when necessary.
I usually burn off about 1L in 5K.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Agreed. Oil can be stored for years without any problem at all. If I have any left over, which I always do, I keep it in the car to top off when necessary.
I usually burn off about 1L in 5K.
When I bought my Foz new I also bought a 1L container of oil to keep in the car for topping up purposes. After 4 years and 175,000km it remains unopened as the oil level has always stayed at the top mark, even though it has 12,500km service intervals. It gets Subaru's 5w-30 full synthetic made by Castrol. My Subaru service centre always charges me for 5L at each change yet the last time it was serviced I supplied my own 5L oil container and they returned it with .3L remaining.

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Yes, mine has never burned any oil, so no need to keep some. The Castrol synthetic oil I buy from a discount car store is much cheaper than the Castrol oil from Subaru service - and I get more.
So would there be any problem in buying 5 litres and pouring it all in? It seems the extra 1/3 litre is within limits and better than storing or wasting it.

Also, if there is no problem storing oil as moisture is driven out in a long run, why is there so much emphasis on time-based oilchanges? I travel a lot and the car is sometimes not used for a month at a time. Consequently my service intervals would run into years but advice I get is to change oil often ( like 15,000 km "or 6 months") because contaminants build up.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Because there is alot more chance of contamination in the engine's oiling system vs. original container fairly well sealed with a cap.

Stan

1 - 20 of 50 Posts