Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting find today. Somehow I’m getting water leaking into the trunk of my Subie. It seems to be dripping between the two trim pieces below the window on the right side of the trunk.

Without looking into it further the couple things I thought It could be are the window itself, the body seam in the roof, the roof rail which I suppose should be that same seam no and maybe the sunroof drain I’m not sure where these drain? I did have the lift gate replaced last year after someone backed into it however the seal is intact and appears to be installed correctly, the leak seems to be too far forward for that to be the case, and it’s not the rear window that appears to be leaking.

Is there anything common I should be looking for?

Thanks

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
111 Posts
Well, I would give the auto body shop that did the repairs a call. Have them look it over. Chances are its a clogged drain hose, a pinched weather strip or something missed aligned.
Hopefully the body shop should have some kind of warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
565 Posts
Just do a google search for how to unclog a Subaru sunroof drain. There are four drain openings. One at each corner. Could be blocked and backing up, or disconnected and letting water in. Other possibilities would be a loose fastener on the roof rails letting water in, or maybe one of the rubber tubes between the hatch and body has come loose, and water can drip from there and down the rear pillars into the bottom of the trunk.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah luckily the shop has a good warranty on their work.

I will have to check the sunroof drains and maybe pull that trim piece to see if I can track it any higher up.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
722 Posts
Interesting find today. Somehow I’m getting water leaking into the trunk of my Subie. It seems to be dripping between the two trim pieces below the window on the right side of the trunk.

Without looking into it further the couple things I thought It could be are the window itself, the body seam in the roof, the roof rail which I suppose should be that same seam no and maybe the sunroof drain I’m not sure where these drain? I did have the lift gate replaced last year after someone backed into it however the seal is intact and appears to be installed correctly, the leak seems to be too far forward for that to be the case, and it’s not the rear window that appears to be leaking.

Is there anything common I should be looking for?

Thanks
My right rear sunroof drain was clogged and dumped into the rear quarter panel and spare well. I took out the drain grommet. They are a PIA to clean out from what I have read and dread looking in there to see how much crud has built up.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My right rear sunroof drain was clogged and dumped into the rear quarter panel and spare well. I took out the drain grommet. They are a PIA to clean out from what I have read and dread looking in there to see how much crud has built up.
I’ll have to check that before I call the body shop. I hope it’s not too much of a pain.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
565 Posts
If you have access to compressed air that would make it easy to blow it out, otherwise try finding something to snake it. The bottom drains are hidden behind your wheel well covers. You may have to remove a wheel and the covering to get at it from the bottom. Basically you have a drainage channel that spills into 4 drain tubes that go from a corner of the sunroof to the individual wheel wells were they drain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts