Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 11 forester x limited auto phase 2 4EAT 170k and counting been having random intermittent stall coming to stop issue . Usually happens warm out 85+F and driving on highway for 30 to 40 min and when coming off highway to a stop . Will bog down 200-300 rpm AT Temp light will flash for a second and will idle out if doesn’t die . No CEL no codes stored on ecu . Was told valve body soleniod going bad lock release or neutral /reverse . Fluid is clean and nothing mechanical on engine faulting . I’ve always owned a manual so auto stuff is new to me . Any help appreciates

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
746 Posts
Have you scanned the transmission control unit for and codes? May need diagnostic scanner, as opposed to ODBII reader.

Could also be fuel system related (pressure regulation, purge, fuel return etc), as symptoms occur when hot, and after sustained rpm.

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Botnik That’s what it feels like converter dragging engine down to stall and again it’s intermittent so no funny shifts or any issues driving in town no binding full turn and engine runs smooth at idle sitting at lights . My wife has drove 2 forester x model 03-05 with 4EAT and never one issue with one hitting 300k and other 190k . Called my dealer and they said only issue is solenoid valve body going bad and it’s a complete unit $930 . Torque converter issue figure be consistent issue not disengaging

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you scanned the transmission control unit for and codes? May need diagnostic scanner, as opposed to ODBII reader.

Could also be fuel system related (pressure regulation, purge, fuel return etc), as symptoms occur when hot, and after sustained rpm.
Scanned entire system with my snap on scan tool no trace of pending or permanent codes. Fuel scale is dead on ,AFR is good and fuel pressure is at spec . I’ve dealt with faulty regulators,injectors and pumps which usually get codes for rich or lean or poor performance in fuel system .Still getting 26-28 hwy and 320-350 a tank but still has original pump I did replace filter last year . I know fuel issues especially pumps will throw a code

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
883 Posts
Called my dealer and they said only issue is solenoid valve body going bad and it’s a complete unit $930 . Torque converter issue figure be consistent issue not disengaging
Many years ago when I had a junky car I had the same problem, and took it to a transmission shop. I was having to shift into N at stops. The transmission shop drove the car around the block to diagnose, and just reached in under the hood and unplugged a wire and gave the car back to me, no charge. They said the car wouldn't be as efficient now, but the problem is gone. The torque converter would be unlocked all the time. They said to fix the problem would cost $XYZ (I don't remember, but it was a lot). I said thanks and left. Some months later the transmission totally failed, not because of the torque converter, and I went back to that same shop to have a rebuilt transmission put in. Wow when I think of this, it must have all happened 20+ years ago.

I'm not sure your Subaru can be "repaired" or if the problem can be worked around the same way, or whether you'd want it to be.

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Botnik Dang that’s some fast diagnose time for a shop lol . I’m trying to save the transmission and if a solenoid is going bad due to heat in the valve body I’ll just bite the bullet and buy the assembly . But yes that’s how it feels torque converter doesn’t know to disengage so it just bogs down . Weird issue one time it actually died coming right off the highway to a stop light for 25 miles doing 65 the entire was and trying to start it had long crank no start so pushed it 10 ft let it sit for 3 min started right up . Don’t know putting in neutral and pushing disengaged the torque converter or soleniod cooled down . Drove it 6 miles to my house didn’t act up

This is just a weird issue I’ve never experienced in 15 years owning Subaru and didn’t know if someone out there had the same issue

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
399 Posts
It so happens that 2010 & 2011 Outback models suffered from stalling when coming to a stop too. Now those models had switched over to the first generation Lineartronic TR690 CVT, but they still use a torque converter. IIRC, a worn thrust washer tended to cut off depressurization, which put a large drag on the engine as you came to a stop. The fix was a revised TC with a better bearing assembly.

I'd say if it feels like you "haven't depressed the clutch" on your 4EAT, I'd suspect you have TC failure.

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Fibber2 Was researching and found that issue in the CVT which is why I wanted the 11 for the reliable 4EAT. Only thing with torque converter failure is usually they will throw a CEL also be more consistent of an issue I would believe rather than a 1 to 2 time issue a month only again days warm and long drive get everything to running temp plus some . I can see trans fluid breaking down with heat being a friction and causing slippage with clutches . I dunno man it’s a hard find for this fix lol I honestly thought torque converter when it happened the first couple times until talked with our master Subaru tech and other service writers and parts .

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,322 Posts
Any possibility you have an issue with your EGR valve on the 2011? Might be worth removing to check how carbon fouled it is and to give it a clean. I am trying to think of less expensive possibilities than the torque converter. Mine was disgusting to the point I could not see how it could open properly, and I had been experiencing the odd super rough idle with the engine wanting to stall after highway trips.

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Quadraria10 I actually bought a new oem EGR around 4 months ago when it first did the stalling but haven’t installed yet . I’ll throw the new one on and check how bad the old one is . Was like $110 figure 10 year old car 170k miles couldn’t hurt to replace .

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,322 Posts
Well mine would have had 160,000 miles or so and had something like 2 to 3 mm or more of built up carbon soot that I am pretty sure limited its ability to open fully or that might have made it stick at times. EGR cleaner and a small brass brush cleaned it pretty good. I have been too cheap to buy a new one lol, but if you have it one hand, it's worth installing..

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Quadraria10 Yea would make sense for random warm days to act up and with the fb25 soo much oil consumption issues can see EGR buildup quicker than an EJ . Thanks will install today

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
C8858B41-D4F0-4CDA-8452-C5654E2AC840.jpeg 8601072B-8382-47B5-A9C9-6C4258C7E712.jpeg Pulled the EGR and replaced with new one after cleaning found crack on outter edge as well. Starting to warm up and hasn’t stalled or fell on its face try to die pass 16 days and 700 miles . Just installed EGR today and see what happens

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,322 Posts
That looks a lot like mine did, even if I can't make out fully how much carbon is on it. I hope it fixes your problem. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,322 Posts
Nice cleaning job! That crack is weird. I wonder if it prevents it from fully closing? So is that the one in the car now, or did you install the new one you bought?

·
Registered
2011Forester X limited
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice cleaning job! That crack is weird. I wonder if it prevents it from fully closing? So is that the one in the car now, or did you install the new one you bought?
Replaced with new one I had I could kind of see the crack with the carbon on but wanted to soak it and see how big it was . The carbon was very thick on the diaphragm think causing issue but the crack doesn’t go all the way down but could see it giving issues soon if it continued

1 - 18 of 18 Posts