Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a weird issue with a small shudder around 40 mph while light on the throttle. I have a 2011 with the 2.5 N/A engine and the 4eat. It has 123,xxx miles on it. I’ve changed the transmission fluid at 60k 107k and I plan on changing it again soon. It started around 107k before I changed the tranny fluid but changing it didn’t seem to affect it. I just recently had the spark plugs replaced and that didn’t make a difference. I did unplug the battery and cleaned the throttle body which seemed to help but after a week or so it came back.
Is there anything else I should look at or do I just drive it and not worry?
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
is it a shudder or more of a rattle? on my 2011 there was a constant rattle at 40mph/approx. 1800rpm that drove me nuts until I realized it was the front heat shield on the exhaust. simple fix via one of those stainless steel worm drive clamps that you get at home depot, etc. tightened that sucker right up and no more rattle.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
293 Posts
Sounds like a misfire. I say that you got the plugs done, but did you do the ignition coil/wires? I had a bad shudder at low RPM and it was a bad spark plug wire. And I always replace the coil every 60-70k, that is a bit of an excessive interval, but it works for me.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There’s not really any noise associated with it. It goes away when the torque converter locks up.
If it were a misfire wouldn’t that throw a check engine light?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
293 Posts
Without seeing your car, I can't be sure. But when I had a misfire like that it took like a month to get bad enough to trigger a CEL. Sometimes the car will just overlook 1-2 misfires as long as it is not happening consistently. 1-2 misfires in the course of running 2500+ RPM is not a huge average considering the amount of cycles each cylinder has.

Also something to consider, Subaru has this thing where it will turn off the A/C compressor under acceleration to give the engine more power. Does this problem happen when you have the A/C turned off too?

·
Registered
2011 Forester
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without seeing your car, I can't be sure. But when I had a misfire like that it took like a month to get bad enough to trigger a CEL. Sometimes the car will just overlook 1-2 misfires as long as it is not happening consistently. 1-2 misfires in the course of running 2500+ RPM is not a huge average considering the amount of cycles each cylinder has.

Also something to consider, Subaru has this thing where it will turn off the A/C compressor under acceleration to give the engine more power. Does this problem happen when you have the A/C turned off too?
I usually run with the it in front defrost so the compressor kicks on and off. It seems to happen when the compressor is off. The shudder seems to go away when the compressor kicks on and the rpms go up slightly.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
13 Posts
I experience this exact same shutter, at the same kind of times you described. I tried researching it and found this question asked at least a dozen times elsewhere online, and no one has ever given a definitive cause, so I just assumed it's another one of those Subaru quirks that we all have to live with.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I experience this exact same shutter, at the same kind of times you described. I tried researching it and found this question asked at least a dozen times elsewhere online, and no one has ever given a definitive cause, so I just assumed it's another one of those Subaru quirks that we all have to live with.
I’m hoping that’s all it is lol.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
58 Posts
We’re see this as well. It does seem like transmission is upshifting/downshifting. Seems like the solenoids or pressure is somewhat off. I do have ‘extra’ fluid in my transmission (over the marks when hot or cold) but can’t drain it now, too cold out and no garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts