Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,373 Posts
Cranky I bought mine with the equivalent of 150,000 miles almost 2 years ago. Done approx 14,000 miles since. The engine power and exhaust are good and it has not had a check-engine light. Personally, I think poor ignition with old plugs and bad fuel trim due to lazy old O2 sensors have more to do with a failing cat than burning a bit of synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
330 Posts
The very fact that it's a horizontal engine seems to exacerbate the oil consumption issue...

When I rebuild mine I might use better oil rings too, just to see what happens.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
330 Posts
Getting back, to the OP...

"...My oil light never came on..."

I have my doubts. The most likely time for the oil light to come on is in a turn, you have the steering wheel turned, it blocks your view of the oil light completely.

·
Registered
2011 X Touring Automatic, unfortunately
5 Posts
I have the same problem too, but have 108k miles. I did a little research and discovered thst there’s a class action suit that resulted in Subaru footing the repair if the car fails an oil consumption test (basically an oil change and they check it to see if there is oil loss after 1200 miles) there must be no other issues that can muddy the results of a small block issue. I had another bad leak and too many miles that the combined repairs exceeded the value of the car. So, since I’ve owned or leased 6 Subarus since 1999, they gave me a $2,500 voucher towards a new purchase of lease. Contact Subaru customer relations and thry can setup the test.
it pisses me off tho that I did all maintenances and this still occurred and my dealership was totally unaware or never said anything.
Yeah, I asked them to do an oil consumption test. They refused.

·
Registered
2011 X Touring Automatic, unfortunately
5 Posts
$6k on a 10 yr old veh for a motor? Really? Does not sound as if anyone's doing you any sort of decent service on your 10 yr old car. Good used cars are available for less. Good used motors are readily available and while you have it out for replacement, do the water pump, timing belt and drive it home that day. Shop price is around $1500 from dealer for a short block and it's up to him what he sells it to you for. Then you have valve job and head resurfacing along with gaskets, head bolts etc. As has been said, oil consumption will eventually clog your catalytic converter. And has been said, run low on oil and you will hear lots of odd noises but keep up on oil levels and likely drive for some time.
Good used cars aren't available for that price in this market and you're way off on the dealer price for a new short block.

·
Registered
2003 Baja, 2006 Baja, 2008 Impreza
128 Posts
Good used cars aren't available for that price in this market and you're way off on the dealer price for a new short block.
Local Subaru dealer price to a friend of mine with a mechanical repair shop is $1500 maybe a little more. Could be $1700. It's been awhile since I checked. Then as is true with all shops, they mark the price up to the customer. I live just outside of Philly, between Philly & Allentown. I have been flipping Subarus for awhile after I do whatever work is needed. Prices have been increasing of late, even buying a new vehicle is tough anymore. Buying used cars I will concede is becoming increasingly tough. Anyway, I think he sells that short block for $2300 - $2500 and then of course machine work for heads and transfer of components is extra.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts