Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2011 - Quick question about engine ticking?

('09-'13) 
2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Kdarbs27 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I’m sort of new at least so don’t blast me for not knowing, but I have a ticking sound, coming from the engine bay of my 2011p, that is noticeable mainly on the freeway. It occurs about 50mph+ and seems to come from when you just lightly press on the gas to maintain speed. The noise does not occur when you take your foot off the gas and does not Occur when you actually accelerate. It sounds like a soft tick and should not be oil related, since it has occurred before and after oil changes. I have done nothing mechanical-wise to this car but I do believe the head gasket was redone before I purchased it. The ticking was not noticeable when I bought it! Also, if this helps, I can almost hear the same sound for about a second when I start the car up, but it quickly goes away. I haven’t taken it anywhere for this issue yet because I really don’t know how to explain it in best detail. Any info or advice would be appreciated!

#2 ·
I have a couple questions is it the naturally aspirated engine? Which transmission does it have? Also how many miles does it have? Are you able to post a video of the noise?

I have a 2011 premium with the naturally aspirated engine and I will say the FB engines do have some ticks. If you search YouTube I’ve found a lot of videos displaying a similar tick and digging through the comments it seems there’s no definitive answer as to why it’s like that. Some people commented that they had their engines torn down had the valve clearances adjusted. Some mentioned that it helped others mentioned that it didn’t.

It’s probably worth it to bring it up to the dealer just to get their opinion and make them aware of it. You can also do an oil analysis to check for wear metals in the oil. I’ve had good luck using black stone labs.

#3 ·
2011 2.5X Premium
Naturally aspirated
Automatic
About 65,000

And sorry I can’t post a video because it is just soft enough to not get picked up on the highway. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a video with the same sound, probably since it is so hard to record. I’ve read about valve adjustments and lifters, but it’s tough with no definitive answer. I’m definitely gonna drop it off at a dealership because all of my mechanic friends really can’t pinpoint it

#4 ·
On the ticking while driving, next fill up put in premium and see if it has any effect. On the start up, my '99 with 230,000 has a pronounced noise on cold start up; I manage/reduce it by quick shifting P-N-P some 3 or 4 seconds after it fires.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.