Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently replaced the front wheel bearings, knuckle, control arm, calipers, ... on my 2011 Forester X, 150k miles. I did not replace the speed sensors but, I did remove them from the "old" knuckles and reinstalled them to the new. Upon start-up, (probably even before I moved the car) I got an ABS, traction control, and check engine light. When I brought it to AutoZone to read the codes, I got the following error codes:

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor A
P0456 Evaporative Emissions System Leak Detected...(very small leak)
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure / Baro Sensor High Input
P0223 Throttle / Pedal sensor B Circuit High Input

I don't think the latter 3 codes are related to the wheel speed sensor but I mention them here for completeness. However, it's worth noting that the idle is a little rough... I've read elsewhere that there may be a "limp home" mode that's invoked when P0500 is received. Anyway, in order to reset the idle, I did end up disconnecting the battery for some time then reconnecting it, so I believe that would clear codes, but it came right back upon start-up. It's worth noting that the speedo does work, so I think I'm good regarding whatever vehicle speed sensor plugs into the tranny (if any).

A few questions:
1. I believe that the most probably root cause for the check engine light is the wheel-end ABS sensor that I could have damaged. Any alternate theories?
2. If I wanted to start diagnosing the wheel speed sensors, how does one go about it?
3. Given that these are after-marked knuckles and hubs, what's the probability that either the hub isn't properly magnetized or the knuckle doesn't hold the sensor in the right place? They're Timken bearings so... should be good?
4. Any chance I need to consider the other items when troubleshooting the ABS problem? Planning to work in series for now.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.0D
26 Posts
I'm suffering the exact same issue (2010 diesel forester manual) - however I kept the same hubs and knuckles but ended up taking them apart to swap the control arm, strut and disk covers. I too thought I'd damaged the wire on one side when removing so I replaced that sensor today which is now a few days later.

The P0500 code is present on start-up, but goes after 20 seconds of driving and low speeds and quickly returns after 20 seconds of more low speed driving. The code remains after clearing which leads me to want to replace the other sensor on the opposite side now too. But I must say I'm not convinced this is the right solution, I'm just doing it to rule out the options.

I too have noticed rough idle and lack of power and my rad fans are stuck on - I found another code - P0005(00) I wonder if this is a generic code related to the fuel rail going into limp mode because it wasn't around before all of this.

I'm beginning to wonder if there may now be some grease or dirt covering the marks on the hub? Or has anyone else got any suggestions or ideas.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.0D
26 Posts
having just read around a little - I feel this is going to be my first port of call:

this link shows a pretty obvious potential cause of the issue.

if the gapping is too wide between the encoder ring and sensor, then the sensor will offer an inconsistent reading and throw a code. I used a wire brush to clean the mounting surface but the newer disk covers did look thicker with a fresh coat of paint on them so they could easily have increased the gap.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.0D
26 Posts
Yesterday I took off my hubs again, noticed the encoder rings were dirty and not in great shape. So I fitted new hubs after sanding the disk covers a little to ensure good gapping. The abs light went away and I was able to clear error code to make the eml light switch off too.

So whilst it was cheap and easy to change the sensor - it wasn't the cause of the fault - it was the encoder ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts