Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 non turbo that has developed an oil leak at the bottom of the timing chain cover on the passenger side. It's not gushing out but seeping enough that I want to fix it. Only has 65000 miles but is out of warranty due to its age. Looked at the parts breakdown and there is no gasket between the cover and block.They use sealant when its manufactured. It would be a real PITA to take the cover off for such a minor leak. Has anyone had any success with sealing it from the outside?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,609 Posts
Can you post some pictures of this leak? As far as I know the timing cover is just that, it's to cover/protect the timing gears and belt. There is no "oil" there, so whatever oil is coming out it's not due to the lack of sealant or otherwise between the timing cover and the block. Since it's the passenger side, you think it's possible that the oil maybe coming from the oil cooler? The other area that might be leaking there is the cam shaft seal....

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
715 Posts
I have a 2011 non turbo that has developed an oil leak at the bottom of the timing chain cover on the passenger side. It's not gushing out but seeping enough that I want to fix it. ... It would be a real PITA to take the cover off for such a minor leak.
FWIW, you are the only person who will invest labor in trying, trying to stop a seep.
Alternatively: check oil level every 3 months and add if needed.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got around to checking it out. Looks like the right valve cover leaking. There are 2 tabs on the gasket that stick out of the bottom and when I pull on them I can see the gasket moving between the cover and head. Going to replace that first since it's the easiest. Just hoping it's not the cam carrier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts