Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm trying to replace my stock radio I'm my 2011 Forester but as soon as I connect the new Android unit, car won't start. It will start without any radio or if I put the old one back in.

The new radio powers on and works but looks like it triggers the anti theft system.

Does anyone know what the fix is for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
564 Posts
There is a wire you need to disconnect. Had the same thing happen when I installed a Seicane unit in mine. Sadly its been almost 10 months and I cannot remember. I will try to find my notes and get back to you about it. It seems to me though this was a common complaint and the answer is to be found in reviews or question answers on Amazon or in the frequently asked questions section of the Seicane website. The good news is the Forester starts no problem and the head unit is great.

Just found my notes-- with the loom provided by the head unit maker, there was a brown power wire that has a connector that needs to be undone. With it connected the unit works but the car will not start. Disconnected everything works fine. Mind you I have not gotten the steering wheel controls to work on mine but that is because I need to work around a Sony steering wheel control interface that was installed by Subaru with the upgraded Avic sat nav unit in 2011.
That will require me to tap into the Key 1 and Key 2 wires. and figure it out a bit more. To be honest, though I find it easier just to tap on the touchscreen with my right hand than to use the steering wheel controls.

Re the steering wheel controls-- here is what they told me
''we checked your original car only have one steering wheel cable, please connect your original car's steering wheel cable to the cable key1 or key 2, one of them, and your original car also have the negative electrode cable, please connect the negative electrode cable to our unit's black ground cable, then study the steering wheel keys

if your order is not include canbus ,Please go to Settings - Steering Wheel Learning - follow the instructions to complete the steering learn. Steering wheel learning steps, 1) Press any button on the steering wheel, the interface will display, please press and hold a direction button. If you do not press the button on the steering wheel within a certain period of time, the learning will fail. 2) Click on the screen to learn the function of docking. 3) Press the corresponding function button on the steering wheel Repeat the operation until all the control buttons on the steering wheel have been learned.'' Please refer this video http://download.seicane.com/doc/80/H5/H5learningsteeringwheelcontrol.mp4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Quadraria10 Thanks for the info. I have a Seicane as well. I had some time yesterday and played around with it and noticed the brown wire, unplugged it and it worked.

How do you find the unit overall? I mean it's super cheap so I'm not expecting much, but Call quality seems bad, not for me, but for anyone calling me.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
564 Posts
How do I find the unit-- for $129 Cdn delivered its a fantastic deal. I was not so keen on the Seicane stock interface, but since changing that to one I like, and can modify, its been great and looks great. Back up camera with the almost 10'' screen is terrific. The built-in amplifier in it is better than the Sony Avic upgrade my car came with, and the Nav program in addition to having recent maps is also far better at actual road guidance.
I always found call quality varies a bit with any system, from what I have been told the call quality is not bad. Seems to me I never notice anything bad the odd time my wife has called me from the car.
I like the mirror link function, the internet options... some of the software interfaces could be more elegant such as Radio and music player functions but they are neat and functional.
I also really liked how well it installs and fits. If you remove the green plastic bracket holders from your original and transfer those to the same tabs on the Seicane the unit really locks in with a perfect fit and no movement or gaps.

For anyone buying one of these, there are also quite a few resellers on Aliexpress, and the variation in price is usually linked to how recent the version of Android is and the processing power and ram, and the display quality of the screen. Unless you need the latest and greatest buying a year or two older unit on clearance can save you hundreds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Quadraria10 I haven't played around with it much, but definitely need to change the stock interface. Also still need to connect the backup camera.

I got mine on Alliexpress. Took a while to get here, as everything else coming from China, but super cheap :)

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
564 Posts
And trust me, if you get the Agama car launcher app like in the video below it improves it.

you can see what its like with the Subaru logo on the tablet the guy has in this video

and you can customize it further and colour it the way you like. You can get it in the google app store and download it to your unit. If memory serves its a one time cost of $4, and you can even get a free trial for a month. You set it as your start up launcher in the settings section. Also resolves the one key thing I disliked in the original, in that it adds a screen dimming or black out option with a touch setting.

Here is the backup camera I installed with it

It has good resolution and night lighting which is important with the larger high res screen.

And here is my latest aliexpress purchase to finish off my refresh of the interior, and project to do!

I received it and it has everything needed for the install including picture instructions. Test fitted it and its perfect. Really nice artificial leather that is thick and feels great to the hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts