Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Forester non turbo with dual mufflers. The tips on both mufflers are not centered in the bumper openings anymore. They are both very close to the outside edges of the opening and the slightest bump makes them rattle against the bumper. I do have the accessory Subaru exhaust tips which I installed when the car was new and they originally had plenty of clearance. I was going to take them off but the bolt heads that hold them on broke when I tried to remove them. All of the exhaust hangers are intact. I finally took a long pipe, stuck it in the exhaust tip and was able to bend them back towards the center and get more clearance. That took care of the rattle. The car has 75000 miles on it with the original exhaust. As crazy as it sounds is it possible the Y pipe connected to the mufflers could spread?

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
More likely is the exhaust hangars has stretched out a bit and lost some of its elasticity... Cheapest remedy is going to your LPS and grabbing replacement ones.

C.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that worn rubber exhaust hangers could let the mufflers bounce around more but that wouldn't explain how they are now further apart from each other. The mufflers bolt solidly to the Y pipe.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the rubber hangers and they're in really good shape. Took off the chrome exhaust tips and now there's plenty of clearance and no more rattle. I know I'm going to have to replace every thing from the cat back soon. Car is 9 years old with 71000 miles. How long do OE exhaust systems on these Foresters last? Moderate salt exposure during winter. Anyone have luck with the Walker components? I know they probably won't last as long but they're about a 1/3 of what the Subaru parts cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts