Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester X (2.5L Petrol)
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Using cruise control at 100Kph and I just lose power, switching to manual and tried downshifting to regain power however my power/speed kept dropping. Switching back to auto mode the car bursts back to lift and power. No idea what happened, any ideas?
Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia Gadget

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
1,299 Posts
Well... that's not a good sign.
If all for plugs had misfires, my guess is something is up with the distributor, timing belt, or worse case valves, cams even a head gasket leak.
Did you over heat? Hows the coolant? No milky looking coolant? Any smoke at the tail pipe?

If all that is good, how's your battery? Old and tired or somewhere in the middle. Is the alternator fine?
There are a handful of issues that could do that. Heck a clogged air intake might throw off the air/fuel ratio, just enough where it can do weird things.

Maybe someone else can chime in with other ideas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... that's not a good sign.
If all for plugs had misfires, my guess is something is up with the distributor, timing belt, or worse case valves, cams even a head gasket leak.
Did you over heat? Hows the coolant? No milky looking coolant? Any smoke at the tail pipe?

If all that is good, how's your battery? Old and tired or somewhere in the middle. Is the alternator fine?
There are a handful of issues that could do that. Heck a clogged air intake might throw off the air/fuel ratio, just enough where it can do weird things.

Maybe someone else can chime in with other ideas.
Timing belt looks good and isn't due for change for another 60000kms. Didn't over heat as far as I'm aware, was near low on coolant but just filled her up to full. No milkyness going on. No smoke at least just now. Battery indicator shows the battery is good and it's holding 14.2V when driving also telling me the alternator is working. And the air filter of still white from when I last change it with only little debris.

I read that someone else who has a FB25 had misfires going up steep hills and it was a fuel pump/ filter issue, my filter is due and was going to change it soon. Annoyingly I drive 70kms to get to work and would hate it to die on my 1 hour away from home. But all seems fine now she's home. Did clear the errors from the ECU and she struggled to start but after the 3rd try she started. Again making me think it's fuel pump/filter related.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've mentioned the filter is due. Is this the fuel filter? Isn't it built into the fuel pump?
The filter and the pump are separate but in the same housing under the right rear seat, it's like $300 AUD for both parts. Gunna see how she drives tomorrow but the filter is actually due soon

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
1,299 Posts
That's an odd one. If everything checks out, but the fuel pump filter I guessing at this point.
How much of angle of grade are we talking about with this hill?
The only other thing I can think of was a combo of cheap gas and being low, and high altitude.

@Natedog
LOL, yep no dizzy but the block where the wires from the coil pack go to. Can't for the life of remember the proper name of it. But you know what I mean.:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts