Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester MT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in purchasing a code reader for the 2011, looks to be a basic OBD II , don't need anything fancy, just something that works , simple and reliable

·
Registered
2011 Forester MT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad I posted here , thank you quadria for sharing your expertise and well thought out advice :)

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,373 Posts
Not trying to be sarcastic. There are tons available. Basic code readers all do the same thing. Everyone should have one, and with one use it more than pays for itself.
Here is what I own and can confirm works fine on a 2011 Forester. Does not even require batteries.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
980 Posts
If all you want to do is read codes and clear codes, any $20 unit will work. I once went on a long trip and forgot to bring my code reader. Sure enough, Engine light comes on, cruise disabled: F*&^K!
Stopped at a Walmart and bought the cheapest thing they had. It was $19.98 I believe (this is a few years ago, and Walmart used to carry more automotive stuff...). It did what it needed to do! (still have it, and it still works!)

Read the reviews on Amazon. Especially the 1 star ones! (there will always be idiots that can't operate a fork, so... Your mileage may vary...)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Glad I posted here , thank you quadria for sharing your expertise and well thought out advice :)
As @Quadraria10 and @GuusV said, plenty of affordable code readers out there that will all do that simple job if that's all you're after. If you had posted about needing specific features, applications, etc., that would be a different story.

Most auto parts stores carry them but like Quad, I got mine from Amazon. I have an old Actron model I bought for about $100. .....but as mentioned, you can get others for much less for simple reading / clearing of codes. There's not much to it. Just read the Amazon reviews.

If you were looking for something beyond generic and more robust, I'm sure folks would be recommending specific brands and models for you to look at.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
Bought an older but new Actron on EBay five years ago. Came with box and paperwork. Still works like new. $15. Nothing fancy. Reads, stores and clears codes fine. Any OBD2 will work. Autel, Actron are two good brands.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
200 Posts
My Ancel 410 only costs about $40 now and does 90% of the things expensive ones do. But one major consideration should be availability and ease of regular software updating, which they make both easy and available. Update is downloaded to your PC, plug in device to PC via USB, and voila!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts