Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key sticks in the ignition after the first time we drive the car in the day, even when the car is in park, the steering wheel is not locked in place and then brakes are on. After jiggling the key it will eventually come out. The dealer couldn't replicate at first it because it always works after we manage to get it out the first time it sticks in the day. Isn't that weird? It only happens once a day when you finish your first drive of the day.

So I left it with them for a several days so they could replicate the problem. They say the "shifter plate" needs replacement. We do that to the tune of $550. The problem persists.

Now they say maybe if they replace the ignition switch, because a solenoid in the ignition switch seems to be bad. They can't replace the solenoid alone. So if we replace the ignition switch then we also have to replace the door locks too, unless we want two sets of keys (one for the doors and one for the ignition). That will be $1,200.

We see all over the internet that Subaru has problems with the keys sticking in the ignition all over the world and across their model lines, but corporate customer service says, "Sorry, we don't have a bulletin on this model year, so it's out of warranty."

Am I wrong in thinking that Subaru should have some responsibility for this? At least a discount on service?

How do they find out if there is a problem if they just say, "Sorry" and don't do the research?

I'm jus not feeling the love today.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Does the car indeed indicate it is in park?
There's a solenoid in the column that is released by putting the car in park. Maybe you can just unplug that solenoid so it is never driven and thus stops posing this problem. Of course, it will let you pull the key out at any time so just remember to not try that.

Let me dig in my schematics..

Edit: while looking for a picture that key solenoid, I actually found a video that describes exactly how to disable that feature. That may help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. This could be an option, if it weren't a safety issue. What I don't understand is why the solenoid can't be replaced without replacing the ignition switch. Is that something that a Subaru dealer just doesn't want to do or is it something that just cannot be done? I would like to have it properly repaired when I go to sell it in a couple of months!

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Interesting. This could be an option, if it weren't a safety issue. What I don't understand is why the solenoid can't be replaced without replacing the ignition switch. Is that something that a Subaru dealer just doesn't want to do or is it something that just cannot be done? I would like to have it properly repaired when I go to sell it in a couple of months!
It may very well be part of the entire assembly so they don't stock that item as a replacement part.

If that was my car, see if disabling the feature helps you and then decide. If it lets you remove the key with impunity, it could be that the solenoid needs a bit of careful lubing or maybe whatever is driving it has an issue.
If it does not, there must be some sort of mechanical issue with that lock, unrelated to the solenoid.

It doesn't hurt to squirt a little oil on the key and work it into the lock. That would lubricate the mechanism nicely.
Use oil that doesn't stink because you have to be near that area a lot. For instance, PB blaster works really well but smells badly. Ask a locksmith what he'd use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried blowing compressed air in the key hole, and condidered spraying some Blaster Dry Lube with Teflon in there. It says it's for locks and I have used it on the house, but wasn't sure about the car.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I tried blowing compressed air in the key hole, and condidered spraying some Blaster Dry Lube with Teflon in there. It says it's for locks and I have used it on the house, but wasn't sure about the car.
Go for it.
Could still be that solenoid, tho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The key sticks in the ignition after the first time we drive the car in the day, even when the car is in park, the steering wheel is not locked in place and then brakes are on. After jiggling the key it will eventually come out. The dealer couldn't replicate at first it because it always works after we manage to get it out the first time it sticks in the day. Isn't that weird? It only happens once a day when you finish your first drive of the day.

So I left it with them for a several days so they could replicate the problem. They say the "shifter plate" needs replacement. We do that to the tune of $550. The problem persists.

Now they say maybe if they replace the ignition switch, because a solenoid in the ignition switch seems to be bad. They can't replace the solenoid alone. So if we replace the ignition switch then we also have to replace the door locks too, unless we want two sets of keys (one for the doors and one for the ignition). That will be $1,200.

We see all over the internet that Subaru has problems with the keys sticking in the ignition all over the world and across their model lines, but corporate customer service says, "Sorry, we don't have a bulletin on this model year, so it's out of warranty."

Am I wrong in thinking that Subaru should have some responsibility for this? At least a discount on service?

How do they find out if there is a problem if they just say, "Sorry" and don't do the research?

I'm jus not feeling the love today.
WE MUST ALL REPORT THIS TO THE NHTSA. There are thousands of cars with this issue and Subaru is not currently covering this. It should be covered even if you are out of warranty. If enough of us report it then they will have to repay us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts