Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
New here and kind of desperate for an answer...
Have a 2011 Forester Touring, non turbo, manual trans.

About 10 months ago, the throw-out bearing started making noise. The car had about 170000km (102000miles) so while in there, the mechanic suggested that we may as well replace the clutch.
Which was fine. So they replaced the bearing, clutch parts, and had the flywheel resurfaced.

About 5 months later, the clutch started to shudder when hot. My wife drives in city traffic a lot, when she leaves it's not bad but it started to get more and more noticeable the longer she drove it.
This issue when hot got progressively worse until it became very annoying and I had to take it back to the shop. By the time she would get home, the whole car was shaking madly when starting from stop.

So, they took a look and couldn't figure out what it could be, no misalignment or adjustment or anything they could find without taking the thing apart. So they talked to the clutch manufacturer and got them to send a new kit under warranty. However this time, they also replaced the flywheel.
They took it all apart, didn't notice anything wrong with the parts but put the new parts in anyways.

So, I leave the garage with a brand new clutch kit and new flywheel, and it seemed fine. No more shuddering.

Fast forward 2 months... the stupid shuddering is starting to happen AGAIN.... and I can only assume it's going to get progressively worse and worse... again, but only when the car gets hot, driving in heavy traffic.

What the hell could possible cause this??

Thanks.

Pat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe she rides /slips the clutch too much or uses it to hold, on hills.
Thing is, she's actually never driven automatic, this is our 3rd Subaru and probably like her 8th car and that has never been an issue. none of our cars has ever done that and none of our cars have ever suffered abnormal clutch failures.... so riding the clutch is extremely doubtful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could the assembly be contaminated by oil, I'm thinking. Maybe the main seal has an issue or the slave cylinder is leaking?
Was there any evidence of oil, etc?
That would have showed up both times the assembly was taken apart.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Is the slave cylinder or master cylinder leaking, or check & see if the linkage is smooth sounds like an overheat or clutch not releasing quickly enough

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
You haven’t posted anymore about this you get it fixed? I thought also it could be the clutch release fork could be cracked almost broken & when it heats up it may flex more?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts