Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Notice: Please accept my apology for not using the right jargon below. I'm a newbie in whole car maintenance world, thus would not know "right" words to use. I'll appreciate if you teach me :)

I've just returned from a ~600 miles trip (1200 two ways). Everything was smooth throughout the trip (at least I have not realized much). After a day or two, I tried to start the car and it would not start immediately. I need to keep cranking for 3-4 seconds (keep the key pressed and rotated), it hesitates, as if not enough "power" to start, but then it starts. This happens every time when starting the car, for last 3-4 days. Once it starts, it drives normally. Nothing wrong with electrical components.

I used my BlueDriver OBD2 Scan Tool, and there is one confirmed code "P0345 Camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 2" and one 1 pending code "P0336 crankshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance". For the confirmed code (camshaft), there are three suggested fixes
1. Programming powertrain control module
2. Replacing spark plugs
3. Replacing camshaft position sensor

I tried #2 and replaced all spark plugs, as it seemed the cheapest and easiest option. No luck; still has the same issue. I'm planning to try #3, but could not sure how to. Is there any guide to replace camshaft position sensor(s) for 2011 Forester? I assume there are multiple sensors (4 of them?), and I need to replace a specific one (sensor A, bank 2). Is that right? Where is it located exactly?

Another question is whether this could be a battery problem. I've recently bought the car, so I'm not sure of its history that much. The guy told me he has replaced the batter very recently, and it seems to be true (battery looks new). I went to AutoZone to test the battery, the guy there said battery seemed healthy, but its charge was low. I'm not sure why this would happen. Any ideas? Also, BlueDriver gives following Body Integrated Module Codes
B1101 BATT P/Supply Malfunction Cont
B1102 BATT P/Supply Malfunction Backup
B1103 Ignition Power Failure
B1104 ACC Power Failure
U1201 CAN-HS Counter Abnormal
B1500 NO DEFINITION AVAILABLE

Sorry for long message, but wanted to give some details.

Thanks,
birkan

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
577 Posts
I've just returned from a ~600 miles trip (1200 two ways). ... I tried to start the car and it would not start immediately. I need to keep cranking for 3-4 seconds (keep the key pressed and rotated), it hesitates, as if not enough "power" to start, but then it starts.

I've recently bought the car, so I'm not sure of its history that much. The guy told me he has replaced the batter very recently, and it seems to be true (battery looks new). I went to AutoZone to test the battery, the guy there said battery seemed healthy, but its charge was low. I'm not sure why this would happen. Any ideas?
Your described problem is with the starting system and how slowly it cranks the engine over. So look at these parts: battery, starter - and then alternator to recharge the battery. My $ 0.02

Some people have starting problems with batteries not having enough CCA (cold cranking amps - on the battery label), which will show up in cold weather mostly. So where do you live and how many CCA's is your battery rated for?

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
980 Posts
The Autozone test indicates a good battery that is under charged. Check the alternator with the engine running.The voltage at the battery should be above 13.5 volts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Autozone test indicates a good battery that is under charged. Check the alternator with the engine running.The voltage at the battery should be above 13.5 volts.
Thanks for all suggestions. Following them, I tested my battery. Everything was fine with the voltages. Nevertheless, while testing battery, I realized something that escaped from my eyes before (see attached image). Cables for camshaft sensor was broken. It seems like chewed by an animal (?), but not like burnt. This is the exact camshaft that was listed in OBD2 scanner.

I fixed the cables by soldering them and all issues are now gone. It is funny that I have not seen this while changing spark plugs (it took me 1-2 hours); the image was taken before that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts