Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT LTD 5MT 5 Speed
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just picked up an '11 Touring which have timing chains, new to me, as all of my Subaru's have had timing belts.

Anyway, the Foz is approaching 105k. How much different is the water pump replacement on vehicles with a timing chain? DIY?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
2,236 Posts
Hey Kevin,

The 2009-2013 engines have a timing belt and not a chain. The 2014+ are utilizing the timing chain. Replacement of the water pump should be pretty straight forward.

Chris.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
102 Posts
My 2011 does indeed have timing chains. According to the parts breakdown, the turbo charged listed a timing belt but the N/A lists a timing chain. That was one thing that prompted me to buy a new 2011 when I was looking for a used Forester. i've changed my share of timing belts and didn't want another Subaru with belts. My water pump is not inside the timing cover. It is driven off of the serpentine belt. I always changed my water pump whenever I did a timing belt since I had it all apart. With my 2011 I'm going to wait until it goes bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,236 Posts
Whoops, I saw his profile and presumed the `11 was a turbo as well...

Thanks for coming to the rescue and correcting my misspeak... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
32 Posts
There was a posting on NASIOC by a Subaru tech that claimed it was a straightforward job. For visibility working from below would be easier. Remove the lower cover, drain the coolant, remove the serpentine belt and then the pump.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT LTD 5MT 5 Speed
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, fellas. Agreed, the timing chain was one of the deciding factors in purchasing the 2011.

The automatic tension on the serpentine belt seems pretty straightforward, anyone replace the pump yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts