Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returning to the dealership with my 2011 Forester that has used an inordinate amount of oil the entire time I’ve owned this car. I had it re-ringed 4 years ago, which failed to resolve the oil consumption. Two months ago I paid 1/2 of the short block replacement ($2,700) and Subaru paid the other half. In 1,500 miles it has burned 3 and 1/2 quarts of oil. This is completely unacceptable. I threw away $2,700 and am now once again heading back to the dealership tomorrow to begin yet another oil consumption evaluation. I am tired of worrying about oil. Because of this, I can no longer recommend a Subaru to anyone. Yet I must still drive this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t. I’m open to learning what that is, and how it’s done, though. Thanks

On second thought, this is likely how I got Subaru to pay half of the short block. Yes, I had an open case, and provided tons of documents. The reason I had to pay half in the first place was that I failed on my part to bring it back in a timely fashion after I had Subaru re-ring it. Then I got sick of feeling cheated and went back to the dealership and also filed a complaint with Subaru of America. This time it’s by the book. I feel that Subaru either owes me a new engine or my $2,700 back and buy the car from me. We’ll see how it goes. But I definitely feel taken by this company.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and can't offer any advice but am curious:
They re-ringed it to solve the original oil problem? And the engine was replaced because of that same oil problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they re-ringed it and it kept using oil. The sad part is that I grew so tired of dealing with it that I just stopped complaining to them. Then fast forward four years and I brought it up to the guy who did my brakes and clutch (ex Subaru mechanic) who encouraged me to take it back and start a claim. This led to SOA contacting me with an “offer of repair” to pay half of a short block. This was two months ago. In that time I’ve driven it maybe 1,000 miles and used 3 and a half quarts of oil. Going back in tomorrow to start yet another oil consumption analysis.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,142 Posts
Well, you should have been following up after it started using oil again. You let 4 years go by with excessive oil use. As far as subaru knew things were fine. You are way over the 60K miles and over the 12 months that is warranted on a replacement part.

I see now reason to hammer Subaru. Yes it it is true that there was a problem with oil usage in 2011. But I can't recall an incident here where the problem went unresolved to someone that got an oil burner. I recall more than one incidence of 2 engine replacements for the same problem.

I understand your feelings to not recommend Subaru. But you are in a tiny minority .

Again sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you had read the earlier thread you might have noticed that I in fact, already confessed to the folly of losing heart and not returning. My complaint isn’t that. It’s the fact that neither of those jobs actually did anything. And the last one I paid $2,700 for. I am not letting this slide again. The first was the learning curve for me. But thanks for the response. Appreciate that.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Tour 4-Speed Automatic
7 Posts
I also had oil consumption issues on my 2011 Forester 2.5X Touring which I purchased new in February of 2011. The dealer did several oil consumption tests over the years, the first one started after about 18 months of ownership and continuous complaints on my part. They told me that it was a 2011 Forester fleet-wide problem due to a defective engine. They finally put in a new short block in January of 2017 and I haven't had an oil consumption issue since. It was all covered under warranty and didn't cost me anything. I really appreciate my dealer, Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs, going to bat for me and making sure I was taken care of. I'm hoping the oil consumption issue stays away because I would like to buy another Subaru but the wife says no due to all the years of stress wondering if we were going to run out of oil in the middle of a trip.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope it gets sorted out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts