Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2011 Forester
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Forester which Im looking to get a AT tyre/ black rim combo for, as I love the camping trips, beach trips etc. I've been doing research into the right sized tyre/ wheel combo. Most of the forums n right ups keep pointing me back to the 235/65r17 . I have stock suspension so unsure if this would rub at all with a bit a weight in the car. So, my thoughts was to drop the rim-size to a 16" to give extra room. I like the smaller rim/ larger tyre look so thats fine with me. Im just unsure if it would work eg. 235/65r16.
I also live in the city so want it to be some what comfortable in the city aswell.
Any/ all the help you people can give me will be wicked and happily taken in.

Registered
09 forester Premium
Im running 225/65/17 and i think the front wheel wells need a grinding wheel for anything bigger my tires are right around 28.7" for reference, I do have 2" front lift spacers so you might have to trim with anything bigger than 28.5" just visually I think the 235/65/16 would rub on the spring perch so you might need spacers or wider offset wheels an deal with a wider stance but I have never run this or seen in person it could most defenetely clear without my knowledge! just food for thought. Cheers in your endeavors馃嵒

Registered
Welcome, @Tuki
Go to tiresize.com and enter stock size -- 215/65R16 -- hit 'Alternate sizes' and choose for yourself, as a suggestion.
BTW, 15" tires wont fit due to caliper size. I doubt you want to spend the cash for special offset 15" wheels but could be wrong. I have been wrong once or twice. LOL!
225/65R16 or 235/60R16 would work on stock wheels, I believe. Look at diameter and width.

Administrator
G'day & Welcome @Tuki
We have much stricter rules down here in relation to increasing tyre sizes, track width and spacers (which are illegal) but I think going 16" would be fine provided whatever wheel you select will fit over the front brake calipers. Also keep in mind that tyre "track length" is more important than tyre width for general off-roading and beach driving. For example I have run 215 width on my MY'03 since new and never had trouble on sand. You must also consider if you intend going to the snow where you may need clearance on the front suspension for traction aides. In the Aussie outback if your tyres are so large as to fill the wheel arch completely and you hit some of that sticky mud out there it will rip the wheel arch linings out.
Getting the right tyres down-under atm is very difficult as most popular brands seem to be out of stock due to COVID and our local lock-downs - I've been looking for months now to replace my tyres (21575R15) but my preferred brands aren't available.
With a more conventional size you may find it easier - I've been considering Yokohama GO15 and General Grabber AT3.

Registered
@Kevin -- It must be a nearly worldwide phenomenon that it is hard to find 15" tires lately. I had the same trouble here in NM and had to settle for good used tires one profile size larger than stock for my alternate vehicle. This, from an independent tire shop 30 miles away. I was fortunate to find them, apparently.

Registered
2011 Forester
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Kevin,
Great advice, bro. Im looking to plenty off beach and outback trips so want to get rid of the stock tyres before lockdown opens back up. I do like a bigger tyre, but obviously dont want it to be rubbing when theres a bit of wait stacked in the car. Would a 235 be too big, or should I go down to a 225?

I was thinking of going a 16" rim and a 235/65r16 tyre. This way I keep the bigger tyre and not get rubbing, since my car hasnt been lifted (some day soon!)

Registered
2011 Forester
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think 225 is a safe bet as I've read here that 235 will rub.
I've read people using a 235/65r17 with a 2" lift but it'd still be too wide i thought. Thats why I was thinking of having a smaller rim and the same sized tyre. The 235/65r16 is only 10mm bigger.

Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
As long as you are aware it will negatively impact the cars performance and alignment and make it feel a fair bit slower. Even going with 225 60 17 you will notice a drop in performance as compared to 225 55 17. I cant imagine a 235 65 17 would be desirable other than for looking at the wheel with the car parked.

Administrator
@Quadraria10 Tuki will be running 16" not 17"

@Tuki Just be very careful re the width as sometimes it's not the diameter of the tyre that causes rubbing but the width i.e. it rubs on the side of the tyre.

Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
Either way, I think the OP should be somewhat aware that there are effects to upsizing tires. Some good but also some negative, and its worth thinking it through. It seems to me that stock tire sizes are fine for most camping and beach trips. I was just surprised that research was showing 235 65 17 as a good size to run.

Registered
2011 Forester
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh bloody hell, I've just realised I've got my numbers all wrong. I dont want a wider tyre, but a but taller tyre from rim to outer tyre. Cheers for bringing this to my attention. All new to tyres so this is a great help

Administrator
@Tuki 15" won't fit on your vehicle and due to their weight I wouldn't recommend BFG AT for a Subie unless you are going to be doing some serious rock-hopping. I've run BFG for many years (AT on the Foz and MT on the Triton) but will replace with another brand for the Foz as the Triton does most of the heavy lifting these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts