Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I picked up a 2011 Forester 2.5X, with man. trans. at the end of November. I did my first oil change on it tonight and was a bit puzzled on how many quarts it took. The manual calls for 5.5qts but I ended up having to put in over 6qts before it showed full at the top hole on the dipstick when the engine was warm. I have no oil leaks on the car anywhere.

Process I used when I changed it.
Drained oil on my ramps until oil stops dribbling out of oil pan. Took about 5 minutes since oil was hot. Put drain plug back in. I then added 5 quarts to the car, put dip stick back in and put oil fill cover back on. Started car and backed off ramps, let car run while i put ramps away and shut car off. Pulled dip stock out and proceeded to clean up. After 5 minutes I checked oil. It was 3/4 down from full hole. I then measure out 24 ozs (3/4 quart) and added it. I waited 2-3 minutes and checked again, it was still below the hole slightly. I added another 1/4 quart and it was right where it needed to be, that was 6 quarts of oil total.I then started the car again with the added oil, let it run for 10 minutes to get the oil nice and hot again, and rechecked just like above. The oil level was the same at the top hole as it was before I started it. I did the 5 minute wait time just like the first.
Not sure if anyone else it seeing this. I also had to add about a half quart of oil 2 weeks ago at 600 miles or so and did a check both hot and cold and it did not show any difference in the oil level on the dip stick, if there was any it wasn't enough for your eye to pick up.
I have been changing oil for a long time on my cars and this is how I have always done them with no over filling or any other issues. It is very close to what the manual of this car and many tell you to do. Check it warm and then let the oil settle for a few minutes before checking. Never had any issues and it has always been consistent. I did make sure the dipstick was pushed all the way in just incase.

Oil measured out of engine from oil change

I also measured the oil that came out of the car. The dip stick was showing about 1/8" above the low hole before I drained it, before I put it on the ramps. When I changed the oil and measured it I got out 4.75qts of oil. If I added the over 7/8 of a quart I would have needed to make it full again, that would bring me close to the 6 quarts that I saw at my fill. So the 6 quarts seems to be right.

I am using a Ratio Right to measure the oil which is accurate. This is used for measuring all sorts of liquids and many use it for 2 strokes. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/933/3568/Ratio-Rite-Measuring-Cup

Just wanted to see what others might be seeing. From my searches over the last few weeks many of the posts are based off dealer fills. I did verify that the Castrol quarts were truly a full quart of oil.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,066 Posts
My last oil change took exactly 5.5 qts. The only differences in mine vs yours were (1) drained while level (no ramps), (2) filter removed/replaced after draining and before refilling (you didn't mention filter, but I assume it was replaced, and (3) dipstick checked without starting engine...exactly on the mark. Took short drive to check for leaks, rechecked dipstick next morning (engine cold)...on the mark.

I use the cool/cold check for a reference point, and use the warm/hot (5 minutes shutdown) as a quick check, but not as a reference. Old habits, but seems to work for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2011 FB25 OIL CAPACITY, Over 5.5qts

Thanks for the reply. I did change the filter also. I took filter off after the engine was done dribbling. The filter was empty when I took it off.
I actually have always done the opposite confirmed while hot, only checked while cold. Usually don't see much difference.
I realized i could change it with no ramps but like to get underneath and look at other things for issues while oil is draining. Just another habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
You aren't the first to report an '11 Forester taking 6 quarts. I bet you are fine as-is.

Stan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

You are right. I did searches on oil over the last 2 months, but since posting this I stumbled upon 2-3 more posts. About 6 quarts and owners cars 1/2" over full hole after dealer fill.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Update to dip stick level.

When I read the dip stick in the garage after the last bit of oil was added it was about 1/8 above the full hole. I drove the car to work and at lunch took it for a drive. I parked it about 10 minutes and checked oil, it was now 3/8" above full this could be the expansion from heat. To confirm i double checked when i got home after driving on the highway, same reading. I always check im the garage at home since my driveway slants for drainage. I did not get this high level when i warmed the car up for 5 minutes with the car at temp in the garage after the last addition of oil.
One thing I didnt get to check was if it went down when cold. So no answer yet. I have read a lot of people with the dealer fill close to where mine was after driving and when hot. Havent had a car that did that increase before so just trying to understand. Usually when i follow the procedure below it is the same as the day before when the oil was changed even with thermal expansion.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XE Manual
79 Posts
Without stating the obvious, make sure the car is parked on a as near level ground as possible, even the slightest deviation affects the level on the dipstick more than you would imagine.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,066 Posts
Update to dip stick level.... I always check im the garage at home since my driveway slants for drainage...
Good point, and one I didn't think of. Our garage has a level floor, by spec, since it does double duty as a shop, but many home garages have a sloping floor for water drainage, which would make for a false reading.

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
my 2011 took about 5.75qt to the full line.. and I drained it on ramps so it never all came out.
(nose in air.. drain plug is near a front corner of pan.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts