Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5spd
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I own a 5spd 2011 forester with the FB25 engine and 142k miles which I bought at 99k. Recently I have been having major issues with it. My engine would shut off whenever I slowed down and hit below 1k rpm, and would oiften struggle to start (no codes thrown besides an occasional misfire). After changing crankshaft sensors, cam sensors, fuel pump assembly, spark plugs, o2 sensors, egr valve, pcv valve, etc etc, I suspected that my engine had low compression. Because I couldn't figure out the issues myself, I folded and took it to the dealer and they unfortunately confirmed my suspicions. Now, I have an undrivable pos sitting in my drivveway and I am trying to figure out what to do next. I have always toyed with the idea of swapping an EZ30/36 into it to get a little more power (I know it is not an easy swap), or an EJ255 (I found one from a legacy spec b of the same year). I know that there are some issues trying to swap anything but another FB25 into my car because of canbus and wiring, but I am looking for any help or suggestions on how accomplishing this might be possible besides gutting a donor car and what I would need to buy to get it done. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,511 Posts
If your intention is to make it a daily driver I would drop in another FB. Dropping in an EJ is basically Frankensteining your vehicle and you'll need everything from the donor vehicle: long block, transmission, ECU, harness, etc and who knows what else, ....

Other choice, junk the vehicle and buy something else. The cost of getting a donor vehicle combined extra unknown cost doing the swap, doubtful you would save much if any money.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,678 Posts
At least you got 43,000 miles out of it. I think because of the ecu and wiring issues you will need to replace it with an FB25. If its worth it or not depends on the state of the rest of the car. Good luck whatever you decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts