Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had problem DPF filter on my january trip to Austria. Car passed 120 000km. I went to Austrian Service and they did regeneration of the filter. after 500 Km problem apears again. Again regeneration of filter in Service. After 2000 km situation is same. Service again offered regeneration. I spent already over 1000 of Euro. Does it has sense? Or it will be better to buy new DPF filter? Original or third party? Thanks for your response.

In some countries DPF filter is called FAP filter

·
Registered
33 Posts
What if , instead of renewing your DPF just have it removed and deleted from car’s ECU. If older diesel cars, which were manufactured pre 2009 , are still on roads and can pass the governments inspection so a subaru without DPF can pass TUV. Just saying/

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
870 Posts
Or it will be better to buy new DPF filter?
The DPF often clogging may be a symptom of another problem in which case replacing it may not help. You should get advice from a mechanic familiar with Subarus diesels which have issues with inlet air leaks between the turbo and engine causing over rich fuel delivery which floods the DPF with carbon. Another possibility is faulty injector/s, or EGR valve. And make sure you're using low ash oil specifically made for diesels.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
134 Posts
As mentioned, seems like you are battling with consequences and not causes. Lot of things need to be checked, intake pipes, EGR, injectors, maybe oil leaks through turbo, maybe DPF os damaged or clogged with ash.

·
Registered
2010 Forrester
5 Posts
I know this thread is old but , I have a 2011 diesel with 115000 klms on the clock, engine oil dilution is a current issue after approx 3000 klms since its last service the oil level has risen noticeably. The vehicle is doing 420 klms a week with a 3 hour driving period minimum. I have managed the DPF system with forced regens at the regular service interval of 5000 klms Aprox every 6 months. Only once has the vehicle ever requested a driver type regen indicated by a solid dpf indicator light so im assuming its passive regenning too often. As yet i am able to record any dtc codes to show another cause. The engine exhaust smell / temp, engine pitch seem to be the give away that its trying to self regen as they are similar when i have completed forced regens. The intake system has had issues in the past including two failures of the genuine rubber elbow from the intercooler and the engine inlet which i have gotten around by the use of a higher quality fit for purpose bend. The vehicle also had the plastic pipe from the turbo to the intercooler fail at around 65000 klms so i watch it like a hawk. I have in the last 10 years had the intercooler flushed to remove oil build up from the recycling engine breather system. The engine when its on point has been reliable but the DPF system and its management is pure useless. I intend to keep the vehicle as its in top condition but am going to go down the path of removing the DPF system. Has anyone here had experience in getting it removed/ deleted ?
Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, you really need to see whats going on with the engine and DPF, as i understand, now you are simply guessing what the car is doing.
Thats quite a story with that low mileage.
Get yourself obd reader, Torque app and read extended parameters, like regen count, ash%, distance since last regen, oil dilution.
Maybe it needs EGR clean.
Maybe DPF needs a flush (most likely)
After deleting DPF, youll need a ECU remap, not to mention it is illegal, you (your car, I mean) will smoke, stink and poison everyone around you.

·
Registered
2010 2D 6sp manual
9 Posts
(your car, I mean) will smoke, stink and poison everyone around you.
I've had a 1992 Mercedes 190 diesel,
I've had a 1994 Mercedes W194 diesel,
I've had another 1994 Mercedes 190 diesel,
I've had a 2000 Audi A6 diesel,
I still got a VW T4 1994 diesel,

None of the above were smoking, stinking and poisoning everyone around me.
But those were all mechanical cars and I could tinker with them myself until I got them as I wanted.

Not so with the newer cars, as this rubish Forester I've got.
Controlled by electronics, which the manufacturer won't give you any details on how they're working and their firmware, and how to tinker (reprogram) them so you get them working the way you want.

As such, I do smoke, stink and poison everyone around me right now with the new technology they've forced me to buy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Older mechanical diesels run very lean to be smoke free. How do you think you can get double or even tripple the power out of same capacity diesel engines these days?

And for poisoning- commonrail deasels create microparticles because of high fuel pressures and very fine fuel mist. DPF main mission is to filter these particles out. They get into your lungs and stay there.

Remember - there was a time everyone hyped about asbestos, saying its the best material out there. That didn't age well didn't it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts